Author Topic: Arranging Tracks by Date Last Saved/Added to Computer  (Read 3761 times)

odibex

Hi, I'm trying to get situated here. I generally listen to the last handful of albums I've downloaded. I'd like to have my music arranged in descending order from the last albums I added to my computer. Is this possible? I'm having a little trouble.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

In Tracks or Album & Tracks view, you can add the Date Added or Date Added (album) column to the main panel and sort by that.

If you prefer to work in Album Covers view, then you can create a custom sort order in Sorting/Grouping preferences.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

odibex

I tried that actually and "date added" seems to refer to the date everything was added to the MusicBee library. In this case, all of my music is listed with today's date (when I added it).

Steven

• Administrator
MB doesnt capture the file creation date so the closest you would get is sorting by "Date Modified"

boroda

additional tagging tools plugin, advanced search and replace command, "toy: copy tag preset". you can auto-copy on mb startup/adding new tracks to library/manually <date created> pseudo-tag to custom tag.

odibex

I'm sorry boroda I only understood roughly .09% of that.

Steve: interesting. it doesn't seem that unusual to me that people would mostly want to listen to music they've acquired more recently. generally, the longer I've had something, the less likely I am to want to listen to it. being able to arrange by date acquired would save a lot of scrolling, scanning, etc. this was no problem with f**bar, but I had some other unrelated problems there. this is kind of a dealbreaker, unless borod's suggestion is viable for someone like me.

I did like the accessibility of listening radio a lot. I've frankly never used radio online, but I had a bunch of stations organized and going right out of the box.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Date added is an editable field. I think what boroda is suggesting is that you copy the modification date to date added. Presumably going forward music will be added to your library as you acquire it and you won't have to worry about it anymore.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

odibex

well, I'm not going to change dates on each individual record if that's what we're talking about. you may have a point about stuff that's acquired from here forward, though. I can probably deal with that because if I'm at my computer I'm pretty much exclusively listening to recent stuff. one thing I'm noticing now is that if I switch between, say "Tracks" and "Albums and Tracks" in the main panel, it seems to toss the "Date Modified" (descending) scheme and default to, Album ascending

I have noticed that if I switch from "Tracks" or "Albums and Tracks" to "Album Covers" it switches the ordering to alphabetized, and if I change it back to "Date Modified" things get a little weird - most records are listed multiple times, and each listing will have one to five songs named (these are all records in one folder each as per usual). I've included a screencap since I'm sure that was confusing. I can avoid using that option, I just thought I'd mention it

at any rate, psychoadept, I guess that one of those "hidden in plain view solutions". if I'm only listening to recent stuff it doesn't much matter about the older records. that should probably work out, I appreciate you mentioning that

the image doesn't come up in the preview so I'll just post the link: https://imgur.com/a/tiBBhnA

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can copy tags in bulk using the Additional Tagging and Reporting tools plugin (what boroda was talking about). Then you could sort by Date Added (album) and the fragmentation problem should be better. But if you've decided that's not necessary, great.

Another option is to use a "recently added" auto playlist, and not worry as much about sorting.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

odibex

I DL'd the plugin but I sure can't find anything to tell me what to do with it.

odibex

maybe I'm a compete ignoramus, in which case thanks for bearing with me. before this I tried Dopamine, which looked like the simplest player available, I couldn't make any sense of it at all and deleted it. I'd like to think I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I guess anyone with the sense to gravitate from Windows Media Player is more savvy than I. honestly I can't find any info pertaining to what to do with this thing.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Also look at the configuration options under preferences > plugins. I find it helpful to have it set to display in the context/right click menu. Select the tracks you want to edit, right click, and launch the copy command in the plugin's submenu.

Go slow at first! Maybe even test with some backups until you're comfortable with it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)