Author Topic: all songs in playlists being copied even if already on device  (Read 3173 times)

BillH

Awhile ago I did a wired sync to my tablet.  I synced only playlists which seems to have worked just fine.

Today I decided to try wifi sync for the first time.  

My intent was to sync all my playlists.  I expected it to just copy over things that had changed like new songs in a playlist or new playlists.

Instead it appeared to begin copying all 4500 songs in all my playlists.  I say this because on the sync status window it showed every song being copied.  

Why would it copy songs in playlists that hadn't changed since the wired sync?  It doesn't appear that I got any duplicate files on my tablet so it must have just copied them over the existing files.  

I am on 3.3.7310.

Thanks,
Bill
Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:23:45 PM by BillH

phred

• Global Moderator
Have you checked MB's configuration settings for the device? I suppose it's possible something there has changed. Perhaps the name of the device as MB sees it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

BillH

The configuration settings look fine.  It is syncing ok, it just insists on syncing every song rather than just the ones that need syncing.  I quit the wifi sync and did a sync via cable and it worked great... only copying the new songs and new playlists.

Bill

frankz

Make sure the device name in the app (three dot menu->Settings) matches the device name of the profile you think MB should be using.

BillH

If I go into the app and look at settings, there is no device name that I can see.  All it has is "select the storage for your files" either "internal storage" or "removable SD card" and a check box for "enable debug logging".

Just now I started MusicBee and started the app and now I'm getting an error "Server not found. Ensure MusicBee is running and Windows firewall is no blocking MusicBee".

It worked earlier today... I did the cable sync.  MusicBee is running and I don't use Windows Firewall and Norton 360 is not blocking anything (it didn't earlier either).

Bill

BillH

Oops... ignore the part about "server not found".  I had forgotten to re-enable wifi sync in MusicBee.

With that enabled I don't get the error, but I also don't see any device name in the app settings.

Bill

BillH

Just wondered if anybody had any other ideas?  The wifi sync is still insisting on copying all songs in a playlist rather than only new ones and all playlists rather than only new ones.

I would like to use wifi sync rather than wired sync if I could.  Wired sync works as expected.

Bill

SkyZippr

I'm having the same issue on an Android DAP (Sony ZX507). Restarting the device each time seems to fix the issue.

BillH

Thanks for the reply. 

That didn't help for me.  The phone had just been booted up when I tried the sync and it sill copied all songs and all playlists.

Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you let it run a full sync, and then immediately start another sync, does it still do that?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

BillH

@psychoadept,

Do you mean an "all music" sync rather than a playlist sync?  I can't do this as I have way to much music to fit on my phone.

Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
No, I mean just complete a normal sync, and then immediately start another one
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

BillH

@psycoadept

I see. 

OK, I did a wifi sync for one playlist and it copied all the songs.  I immediately did a wifi sync again on the same playlist.  It ended immediately. 

I did the same on a second playlist and it behaved the same. 

Now I am syncing 10 playlists to see how that works.  If that works then I'll try syncing all my playlists.  The only problem is that takes hours.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

BillH

The sync of 10 playlists finished.  All the songs were copied.  I immediately started another sync.  I expected nothing to be copied as everything was just copied.  Instead it looked like maybe 40-50 songs were copied.  When that finished I ran another sync and the same 40 or 50 songs were copied.

I guess I'll just go back to using the wired sync since wifi sync hasn't worked for me.

Bill