Author Topic: 2 way sync grayed out but for what reason  (Read 7213 times)

Erosion

The post is simple, I have been tinkering with ways to get a playlist on musicbee to be synchronized with my phone. I want the ability to add songs to the playlist on my phone and have them show up or be removed on the desktop app and from desktop to phone. To have a playlist that is the same on all devices. The perfect setting seems to be staring at me behind closed doors and I am not sure as to why it is blocked. I read another post talking about this but the message I got was that MB does not support "iDevices" my phone is a Samsung Gs9+ and I am using the default app that uses the PLA format for playlists.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
2 way sync isn't really supported via wired (MTP) sync. However, if you get the wifi sync app, then you can sync play counts, ratings, and playlists with GMMP and I believer Poweramp. I personally use GMMP (Galaxy S8).

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28093.0
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Erosion

There are a few problems with this, one being that when I want to sync my playlists it also seems to sync the music that is part of that playlist even though I am selecting playlist sync. There is no option for setting where anything is going to go so I dont know where to look. What is it syncing? Where is it syncing? What is it even looking at when it finds playlists? I dont know, but heres what I have to think about. I have a software called syncback pro which does what its name suggests. Sync or backup anything, I can synchronize things on my phone in a two way fashion which I believe in some way might enable me to be able to pull something off to get things synced. The only problem I have been running into is the conversion from library playlists and portable device playlists. So perhaps with some setting tinkery somehow I can get it to work but the wifi method has not worked for me yet. I think wired is the way to go anyway, but that is just my opinion. Any help is appreciated ill keep updating.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Maybe this page will answer your questions: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Devices

The wifi sync uses the same settings that are configured for your wired sync, and in my experience it's much faster. Plus you have the two-way sync option and you don't have the phone tethered to the computer the whole time.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Erosion

This is unfortunate. I think I will have to resort to only updating playlists on my PC's and having them overwrite to my phone. Im not a fan of wifi syncing just because the speeds of internet can change and well I have alot of time I spend at my computer. I also have alot of other backups that happen when my phone is plugged in so I figured I may as well use it to do everything else. Thanks for the information though, ill be watching what happens in the future.

phred

• Global Moderator
There are a few problems with this, one being that when I want to sync my playlists it also seems to sync the music that is part of that playlist even though I am selecting playlist sync.
Can you please clarify this? A "playlist" is strictly a text file that lists the tracks and the path to those tracks. Therefore, syncing the playlist will also sync the music. Why would you want to only sync the playlist file without the music. If all you want is the playlist file you can email it to yourself from your PC to your phone. Or use any of the hundreds of transfer apps.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frostbyte

2 way sync isn't really supported via wired (MTP) sync. However, if you get the wifi sync app, then you can sync play counts, ratings, and playlists with GMMP and I believer Poweramp. I personally use GMMP (Galaxy S8).

Got this. But it's also greyed out for SMB shares and my USB stick. There're people in the forum saying they enabled two way sync. How? Which device type?

frankz

Got this. But it's also greyed out for SMB shares and my USB stick. There're people in the forum saying they enabled two way sync. How? Which device type?
Did you click the link you were given?

frostbyte

Did you click the link you were given?

Yes. The thread is about mobile syncing (MTP devices). I understood, that the Musicbee built in two way sync for MTP devices is not possible. However, the wifi sync app for android can do this.
But my question was if there is any other device type (other than MTP), that can enable the built in 2 way sync? I've seen this in the forum a couple of times, but no non-MTP device made the button enabled, yet.

phred

• Global Moderator
To confirm, two-way sync can only be done via the MB WiFi app. And only with GoneMad and PowerAmp music players. There is no other way to do it unless you want to play around with some third-party apps that might be available out there. But you'd have to do your own trial and error. Steven will (and does) support the WiFi app, but he won't be supporting something that's made by a third-party.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here