Author Topic: Album Art  (Read 5653 times)

Rainbowmon

Hi! I'm Rainbowmon! I'm new here, but I've been using Musicbee as my primary Windows music player for a while now. I've got a *LOT* of music (over 3,000 tracks worth last I checked), and recently, I went through it all on my phone, as there were a bunch that needed tagging, as well as a bunch that needed album art. Once I was done, I transferred it all to my computer, and soon after discovered something a little irritating, which is why I'm here...

Musicbee doesn't support custom album art.

At least, not from what I could find... I have images (specifically of the .jpg, .jpeg, .png, and .webp file extensions) in the folders of the music that needed them, so that's not the issue. I *DID* find an option in the Tags (1) tab of the Edit Preferences menu that seems to allow for pulling album art from the Internet, and it had an option for then saving said image file to the folder where the music is stored, but I couldn't find an option to use image files that were already in those folders. Hence, my request: Can support for these file formats be added for album art, such as to allow for pulling them from the folders that music is stored in? I would greatly appreciate this, as it looks and feels weird to me having no album art for certain albums when scrolling through. Thanks, Rainbowmon of the Care-monic Spirits.

sveakul

It does indeed support displaying album art from custom image files stored in folders.  Go to Prefs/Tags(1)/artwork storage/set which pictures are displayed/Edit List button--which will display the Album Artwork Retrieval Filter dialog.  There you can specify folders, priorities, image types, etc.  After you are done making changes, hit the "Rescan Artwork" button and save.

Be sure to uncheck automatic retreival from the Internet in Tags(2) "autotagging" if that is not what you want to happen.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Weird.
Bee excellent to each other...

Rainbowmon

It does indeed support displaying album art from custom image files stored in folders.  Go to Prefs/Tags(1)/artwork storage/set which pictures are displayed/Edit List button--which will display the Album Artwork Retrieval Filter dialog.  There you can specify folders, priorities, image types, etc.  After you are done making changes, hit the "Rescan Artwork" button and save.

Be sure to uncheck automatic retreival from the Internet in Tags(2) "autotagging" if that is not what you want to happen.

Thanks for the help, Sveakul... But that doesn't seem to work? It says "Folders to be scanned (relative paths are supported) - 1. Folder the Music File is located - Scan Sub-folders." That sounds like it should find the files upon hitting the Rescan Artwork button, right? But they don't seem to be appearing... It's just the default blank album art icon. Is there something I'm missing?

sveakul

Be sure the file list box above the folder path section in the Album Artwork Retrieval Filter has the correct name you want it to find at the top of the list--move it there with the up/down arrows you see if not.  For example, if your artwork files have the same name as the music file, you would check the selection <Filename>.* and move it to the top of the list.  Or, "Folder.jpg", as the case may be.  "Save,"  then go back in and do a "Rescan Artwork" again.

I use embedded art only, but many others use separate files like you do and may be able to help further if you need it.

Rainbowmon

Thanks, Sveakul - after a bit of confusion, I managed to fix *most* of them - I just had the rename the images to "Artwork.(file extension)". Unfortunately, the .webp images that I had for some of them don't work for Musicbee, and I have no idea how to convert them to another format, but the rest is fine.

sveakul

Good, glad to hear it.  As far as webp images,  the free image viewer Irfanview (and others like the Windows Paint app in W10) will convert them easy, just open the image in Irfanview and "Save as..(pick the new format)."  There are also command line tools available (https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/dwebp) and dedicated converters (https://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/).

Rainbowmon

Thanks! I'll do that later... I'm really grateful for the help, Sveakul!

The Incredible Boom Boom

To piggyback off this question, in the "Folders to be scanned (relative paths are supported)" section, is it possible to use Field and Markup selectors to access a previous directory? For albums with multiple discs, sometimes I have covers stored in a directory in the "root" directory of the album, but, for now, MusicBee cannot access them. For example:

..\N.W.A. - (1999) The N.W.A. Legacy, Volume 1 1988-1998\
..\Covers\
..\CD 01\
..\CD 02\

I'd basically want to write a regex that checks if the folderpath contains "CD" and then goes backwards, looks for picture files in the album "root" and checks for a folder named "Scans" "Covers" "Artwork."

bsgb

Bumping this thread because it's somewhat related: I'd love to see a feature that picks up files in the album folder (e.g. cover.jpg, or any file that's configued in prefs) and displays them automatically without having to rescan the entire library for artwork changes. This is useful if you batch add artwork using an external tool for instance. Don't know how technologically feasible this is though...