Author Topic: Overwriting file properties  (Read 781 times)

Kalisha

Hello everybody,

i just installed MusicBee again and now after playing a music file it overwrites the title and artist in the file properties. How can I turn this off? I can't find any option for this behaviour and before I reinstalled my system it did not do this :(

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

When you say the title and artist are being overwritten, what are you basing this on?  What is the file type and tag format used? What were the properties before the change, and what are they after?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Kalisha

So I have almost exclusively MP3 files. The concerned files currently have no entered file properties (title, artist, album, ...)
Picture 1
After I play the music file with MusicBee, file properties are automatically saved in the file.
Picture 2
But I don't want to do that at this point because the saved title is partially incorrect.
Unfortunately, I don't know much about music encoding etc. and can't say anything about the format in which the tags are saved.
Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:26:29 PM by Kalisha

Steven

• Administrator
It is true that when no artist and title tags already exist, MusicBee will default the values based on the filename - I dont plan to change that. But MB doesnt update the file itself just because you played it - the playcounts are not saved to file. However if you rated the song while it is playing then by default the file would be updated with the artist and title values. Also if you are using the tags tool plugin, i guess its possible to set rules that might also update the file.

Kalisha

Well, I didn't change any settings and it's now that when I play a track, MB does something to it. And I want to turn that off, but I don't know how, because I have no idea what kind of option it should be.
Unfortunately I can't find any hint in the settings. I actually just listen to the song and do not even rate it. I also do not use any MB plugins. What sort of an tool is this? Do I have to install it manually?
Maybe someone could tell me where I can find that options and how it's called or where I can find and install a useful plugin?