Author Topic: [SOLVED] Make Playlists more accessible / syncable for Music Streaming Servers  (Read 1146 times)

Nixander

Hi,

right now I am streaming music via Music via my Synlology NAS to my phone when I am on the go!
I can also use the musicbee plalists which is great BUT it only works with "external playlists" because the filepath needs to be relative.
This means, I have to export every playlist manually everytime i make a change to the playlist. There is the option for exporting external playlists automatically, but that only works for smart playlists.  I use more than 50 playlists and update then regularly, which is a pain to export manually evertime.
I wish one of following features, so that playists are synchronized automatically

- an option, to make the filepath of the standard playlists a relative filepath (this option would be much better, as one could edit playlists on the go on the smartphone via two-way synchronization).
- or have an option, to automatically export all playlists when changes are made (also for non-smart playlists)

This way, together with the synology NAS - and I guess with many other music streaming servers, it would be possible to easily access current playlists on the go.

Thank you so much!
Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 11:44:13 PM by Nixander

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About) INCLUDE THE LETTER (if any) AFTER THE NUMBER
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)

I have over 100 playlists - most are auto-playlists, but about a quarter of them are static. And whenever there is a change to a track or tracks in a playlist - static or auto - it is exported. So if your static playlists are not automatically exported whenever you make a change to one, you're doing something wrong. Right-click on a static playlist > playlist settings > automatically export a static copy. Make sure that it's enabled.

As for relative paths on export, there's an option for that also. Preferences > Library > playlists > use relative file paths.

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Nixander

Hi,

If there would be an option to automatically export static playlists, my problem would be solved ... But somehow I don't have the option of playlist settings when I right click on static playlists.
(By static you mean "playlist", like non-auto playlist right?)

When I right click I have the following options
Play now
Play shuffled
Queue next
Queue Last
Lock playlist
Edit playlist
List (some options)
Export playlist
Send to (various options
Duplicate
Delete
Rename
New (various options)
Open in new Tab

Am I missing something? Would be great if you / anyone could explain where to find the option. Thank you in advance.

I am have a normal musicbee installation and I am on version 3.5.8296

Gr. Nick

phred

• Global Moderator
Am I missing something?
From the looks of what you wrote showing the context menu options, you are indeed missing something. You're not right-clicking on a playlist. Playlists are in the navigator which shows in the left sidebar.

If the left sidebar isn't showing look for a little arrow at the bottom left corner as the sidebar may be set to auto-hide. If it's showing and you don't see playlists, Go to  Preferences > layout (1) > left sidebar > navigator > check the items you want displayed.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Nixander

Hi Phred,

thanks for your support! I am still not sure what I am missing. I am pretty sure I am right clicking on a playlist... Here is a screenshot. It looks pretty similar too what you are doint, just this option is missing.

https://imgur.com/a/KgaB4LQ

I hope I am not missing something obvious here...
Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 09:03:02 PM by Nixander

phred

• Global Moderator
Hmmm ... I can't explain why yours is different, so all I can do is suggest you update to the latest 3.5 patch available from my signature below. I seriously doubt that will take care of the issue, but protocol dictates that the first step in troubleshooting is to always use the most recent version.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Nixander

I found the problem - when you set the library playlists to M3U, you cant access settings....
Thank you very much, happy to have found this option   (:

phred

• Global Moderator
I found the problem - when you set the library playlists to M3U, you cant access settings....
Ok, I'm a little confused now. I thought you were talking about EXPORTED playlists. Is that not correct?

Library playlists should always be set to MBP, which is MB's internal database of playlists. For transferring to another device, you should be using EXPORTED playlists. Which not only offers eight formats, but also allows for relative paths.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Nixander

In order to access the settings of the static library playlists, i needed to change the the library playlists to be MBP Format (I had configured the library playlists as M3U in the MB Settings under "library"). Then, in the static playlists settings, i can choose: export automatically.
Is it more clear now?

phred

• Global Moderator
Is it more clear now?
Yes. Thanks for clarifying.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki