Author Topic: musicbee native .ape file support?  (Read 3708 times)

Audiophil3

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12
i think  musicbee is converting,extracting the file before playback, because the high delay.

mediamonkey plays instant the files with no problems.

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 34416
yes .ape files are natively supported
perhaps you have "load file into memory" enabled in the player preferences

if you PM me a link to a file i will have a quick look


Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 34416
how long does it take to start for you?
For me, its < 0.5 of a second. I compared it to mediamonkey which is starting it slightly faster but not much


Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 34416
The relevant file is bass_ape.dll in the musicbee program folder
the one i have is 2.4.1 dated 3/8/2011

So if you dont have that one, get it from the un4seen.com website.
It might also be your security software, so try whitelisting musicbee

I wont be able to help further on this

Audiophil3

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12
i have the same file 32,6 KB
‎3. ‎August ‎2011, ‏‎16:48:36 2.4.1

sveakul

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2553
Did you try whitelisting all MusicBee folders/files in your antivirus as Steven suggested?

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8013
I notice that doing loudness analysis on .ape (Monkeys Audio) files takes a very long time.
At least 3 to 10 times longer than with other formats on my system, and often seems to freeze MusicBee.
At least for such a long time that I choose to force closing MB.

Taking a look at task manager I notice that while processing, cpu utilisation first rises, then drops close to 0% for a while, then gets up, gets down, all seemingly erratic.

Secondly, I took a look at the format converter settings for .ape, but to my surprise there isn't an entry for the .ape format at all.

Yet the format supposedly is/should be supported by MusicBee?

There could be a bug in play here, but before reporting it as such I would like to know if other users also experience a big difference between analysing flac (or mp3) vs. ape, or have similar issues.

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8013
It's not related to loudness analysis.

'search the internet for picture' also often brings things to a grinding halt.
Even for albums where no art can be found: the same Flac album will instantly report 'no artwork found', the ape version just hangs.
(that last part seems an incorrect statement)

Another attempt on the same album just succeeded once. So it's quite erratic.
Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:12:52 PM by hiccup

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8013
update:

Today I did some more processing of ape files, and decided to use a clean portable install to see if I could better nail-down what was going on.
This time, processing the ape files was again a lot slower than processing mp3 or flac files (2 to 3 times slower), but this time I got no freezes, and the cpu load remained consistent during the process and never fluctuated down to almost zero.

So I won't be reporting this as a bug (for now?) since I can't replicate or explain what was going on before.
(I also won't make a wish for having ape available in the file converter settings, since I am using other software for format conversion myself)

Mr. Trev

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 461
I've tried doing processing on .ape files I've run across over the past using different programs - mainly dbpoweramp.
It's a slog on all of them. Something about .ape format that is just more intensive/less efficient  than other formats I suppose
Thankfully, I've hardly had to deal with them

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8013
Funny, on my system, using dBpoweramp, encoding wav to ape is some 20% faster than encoding it to flac.
And this is with the ReplayGain dsp activated.