Author Topic: tabs question  (Read 1655 times)

BillH

Is there a way to prevent new tabs from being opened?  I would like to have only a Music tab which is reused when necessary, a Now Playing tab, and no other tabs (playlists, drives, etc.).

If that is not possible, is there a way to turn off tabs completely? 

I've looked through the settings, but can't find how to do either of these things.

Thanks,
Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If new tabs are opening when you click on different nodes, check that your current tabs don't have navigation lock set. Otherwise everything should be happening in the same tab unless you intentionally change to a different one.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

BillH

@psycoadept

Thanks for the quick reply.

Interesting.  I had two tabs open.  The first was set to Full Lock.  The second was set to Do Not Lock.  I opened a new playlist and it didn't reuse the 2nd tab, it opened a 3rd one.  Opening another playlist it opened a fourth tab.

So... I set all the tabs to Do Not Lock.  I then closed all the tabs.  I then played an album and switched to Now Playing so that the only open tab was Now Playing.  I set it to Full Lock.  I opened a playlist and it opened a second tab which was set as Do Not Lock. Now when I play another artist, or open a playlist, or select a drive it reuses that second tab.  

I'm not sure why it acted differently the second time, but it now works like I wanted.  I have one tab for Now Playing and another tab which switches depending on what I am playing.

Thanks!
Bill

BillH

Well... I spoke too soon.  Now it has started to open new tabs every time I select a new artist, playlist, or drive.  I'll close all tabs and then open a tab and set it to Do Not Lock and see how that goes.

Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
All tabs should start without any navigation lock, so if you find that's not the case can you pinpoint what's causing it?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

BillH

They do open set to Do Not Lock. 

I set the first tab to Full Lock.  I was hoping to lock it and then have the second tab be reused rather than a third, fourth etc. tab being opened.

It seems that if the 1st tab is set to Full Lock then multiple tabs are used rather than reusing the 2nd tab.

Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Are you doing whatever opens the new tabs from within the locked tab?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

BillH

Yes.  I hadn't noticed that.  If I do it from the locked tab it opens another tab.  If I do it from one of the existing unlocked tabs, it reuses the tab.

Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ok, good. That's as intended. A locked tab can only open a new tab, it's not going to open anything in an existing tab.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

BillH

OK.  That does explain it.  I'll just keep all tabs unlocked.  That will work fine for me.

Thanks for the help.

Bill