Author Topic: Musicbee Chromecast Plugin  (Read 76517 times)

marp68

I forgot the modification I had to do last time I installed it.

Since I am running MB in Swedish, I needed to change "Everyone" to "Alla" (Swedish for Everyone). Then cmd accepted the phrase.

Now the server is up running and I get the UI on my television, that is, I can see the artist and song etc. But no sound...  :-\  And I don't know how I solved the sound issue the last time. I tried with entering the machine and port number on my phone, but I didn't get any results.

votaxoo

Thank you for this plugin ! I use it it works fine  :)

gapsynaptic

Hi - I wanted to thank you for this plugin! It's made Musicbee so much more useful now that I can play music from my PC to anywhere in the apartment.

One tip I will share is that I had to turn on file/printer sharing (which I had turned off a long time ago):

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Before turning that on, the webserver was running and connecting to the CC but I wasn't getting any sound and couldn't see the files from my phone's browser. It all works now.

Question though: I don't seem to be able to seek inside the currently playing track (that is, move the playhead to a different part of the track) - is that a limitation of the plugin?

marp68

One tip I will share is that I had to turn on file/printer sharing (which I had turned off a long time ago):
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

I have the same issue. Everything connected and MB, the artist name and song name shows up on my tv screen, but no sound. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem by activating the file/printer sharing.

Any more tips?

I noticed that the rule that is now automatically created is for incoming traffic. Is that correct? I thought the rule would be for outgoing trafic. I created a similar rule for outgoing, but no results.

I had everything working before, but had to do a reinstallation of the OS on my laptop.

gapsynaptic

I have the same issue. Everything connected and MB, the artist name and song name shows up on my tv screen, but no sound. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem by activating the file/printer sharing.

Any more tips?

I noticed that the rule that is now automatically created is for incoming traffic. Is that correct? I thought the rule would be for outgoing trafic. I created a similar rule for outgoing, but no results.

I had everything working before, but had to do a reinstallation of the OS on my laptop.

For what it's worth, all I was getting was the word Musicbee in a large font on my TV – I wasn't getting any info about tracks or artists until I turned the file sharing on.

foxj

Check out https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/windows-to-chromecast.11110/

desktop app streaming to 5 devices at once.

from read me
This tool captures the audio from your desktop (or microphone) and streams it to a ChromeCast Audio device.

You can download an installer from the releases. After running setup.exe you can run the installed program from C:\Program Files (x86)\Desktop Audio Streamer\Desktop Audio Streamer\ChromeCast.Desktop.AudioStreamer.exe.

On the first run Windows will ask you to configure the firewall and this must be enabled for your home-network type (public or private) for audio to play.
If the application doesn't find your devices please read troubleshooting.
This tool can't be used to synchronize video on your desktop with audio on your devices. There's always a lag because of audio buffers on the devices and in the application.
Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 09:52:18 PM by foxj

foxj

If anyone is trying to get this to work with the store app, it can be done! It's a little complicated though.

Since Windows essentially bars you from modifying anything in the WindowsApps folder (where Windows Store apps are installed), you're going to have to do your work outside of Windows. I used Ubuntu Live on a flash drive, but there are numerous other ways you can do it.
  • Rather than copying the plugin's files into MusicBee's folder (which Windows won't let you do), save them elsewhere and then add them in MusicBee under Edit Preferences > Plugins > Add Plugin.
  • Per some other users, you may also need to install the MusicBee UPnP/DLNA server plugin. I didn't try this without it.
  • Follow the instructions here to create install Ubuntu Live on a flash drive.
  • Make note of (1) where you have Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.dll saved and (2) the parent directory of musicbee.exe. You can find musicbee.exe's parent folder by right-clicking on it in Task Manager and selecting "Open file location".
  • Shut down your computer and boot Ubuntu Live from the flash drive. You may need to modify your UEFI/BIOS settings to get it to boot from the flash drive instead of booting your Windows installation.
  • Select Ubuntu in the first menu AFTER you've booted from the flash drive.
  • On the next menu, choose to boot from the drive rather than installing Ubuntu.
  • Now you should finally be into the Ubuntu desktop. Open the file manager and copy the .dll from wherever you saved it to both the same directory as musicbee.exe AND the plugins directory. I'm not sure if you need both, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • Shut down Ubuntu and reboot into Windows.
If your drive is encrypted with Bitlocker (like mine), you'll need to follow a few more steps.
BEFORE booting into Ubuntu.
  • Save your recovery key by right-clicking on the encrypted drive (in Windows) and selecting "Manage Bitlocker", then "Backup your recover key".
  • You can either save it to a text file or to your Microsoft account. In either case, it's a long set of numbers (8 sets of 6, with dashes in between).
AFTER booting into Ubuntu.
  • Open software center, click on edit, and the software sources. Then check the box that says "Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe)".
  • Follow the instructions here to unlock and mount your drive. Where it says to type in your password as "-u<password>", use "-p<recovery key>" instead, where you replace "<recovery key>" with the long number you saved before, INCLUDING the dashes, and making sure there is NOT a space between "-p" and the beginning of your recovery key.
  • Copy the .dll as described above.

While modifying files in the Ubuntu environment, you should be careful to not modify anything else, because you could corrupt your MusicBee or worse, Windows installation.

Have you tried windows commands TAKEOWN and ICACLS

icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /save "C:\temp\WindowsApps.acl"
(note the folders ownership using file properties > security tab > advanced .OWNER is at the top)

takeown "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"

icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /grant USERLOGIN:(OI)(CI)(RX,W)

This should work to secure it again

You could use icacls /reset to restore the permissions. I try to stay away from icacls /reset because it doesn't account for addon's, well a least on servers.

icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /restore "C:\temp\WindowsApps.acl"

icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" or whatever you noted in advanced security above

EDITED to remove duplicate very long quotes - phred
Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:59:40 AM by phred

mikehd

I got it working on the first go, thanks to all you creators and pioneers and a well written README.  :D

mikehd

frankz

I got it working on the first go, thanks to all you creators and pioneers and a well written README.  :D

Geez - that's pretty.  I might have to give it a go.  Good work, dev.

Yaapio

I know this topic has been adressed. And somewhere I saw Steve stating he was busy with it. I tried the plugin and all solutions that were offered until now...Unfortunately nothing works for me...It would be a dream come true. Regards

richard127gm

Installed the Chromecast Plug-in from Troy Fernandez. It worked first time, but since then, despite finding my speaker group, no sound arrives. Eventually I get the error

MusicBee v3.4.7628.34032D  (Win10.0), 9 May 2021 22:33:

System.TimeoutException: The operation has timed out.
   at GoogleCast.TaskExtensions.<TimeoutAfter>d__0`1.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at GoogleCast.Sender.<SendAsync>d__62`1.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at GoogleCast.Channels.Channel.<SendAsync>d__12`1.MoveNext()
   at GoogleCast.Channels.ReceiverChannel.<LaunchAsync>d__7.MoveNext()
   at GoogleCast.Sender.<LaunchAsync>d__60.MoveNext()
   at GoogleCast.Sender.<LaunchAsync>d__59.MoveNext()
   at MusicBeePlugin.ChromecastPanel.<MyButtonHandler>d__14.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

Although Musicbee will output to a smart speaker, it doesn't have the facility to cast to a speaker group. Any chance this will be developed in the near future?

eriqjaffe

I'm having trouble getting this running - the Chromecast is connected and the server is started but I don't get the track information:

...and no audio, of course.  I could ultimately live without the display.

When the track changes everything shows up for about a quarter of a second before it bounces back to this.  If I go to the URL in a web browser I get a 503 "Service Unavailable" error.  I'm guessing it might be a firewall issue but I'm not quite sure where to start looking.  Any help would be appreciated.

mikehd

I'm having trouble getting this running - the Chromecast is connected and the server is started but I don't get the track information:

<image snipped>

...and no audio, of course.  I could ultimately live without the display.

When the track changes everything shows up for about a quarter of a second before it bounces back to this.  If I go to the URL in a web browser I get a 503 "Service Unavailable" error.  I'm guessing it might be a firewall issue but I'm not quite sure where to start looking.  Any help would be appreciated.

Have you read thru the readme file on GitHub? https://github.com/TroyFernandes/MusicBeeChromecast#readme
mikehd

chadjans

Anyway to get the album art attached to a FLAC to cycle on the screen?

Chad

mikehd

In my reply #52 above, all I did was follow the installation and setup instructions in the referenced readme file at the GitHub repository.  If you've followed the readme, post back and I suspect more knowledgeable members will chime in on how to troubleshoot.
mikehd