If anyone is trying to get this to work with the store app, it can be done! It's a little complicated though.
Since Windows essentially bars you from modifying anything in the WindowsApps folder (where Windows Store apps are installed), you're going to have to do your work outside of Windows. I used Ubuntu Live on a flash drive, but there are numerous other ways you can do it.
If your drive is encrypted with Bitlocker (like mine), you'll need to follow a few more steps.
- Rather than copying the plugin's files into MusicBee's folder (which Windows won't let you do), save them elsewhere and then add them in MusicBee under Edit Preferences > Plugins > Add Plugin.
- Per some other users, you may also need to install the MusicBee UPnP/DLNA server plugin. I didn't try this without it.
- Follow the instructions here to create install Ubuntu Live on a flash drive.
- Make note of (1) where you have Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.dll saved and (2) the parent directory of musicbee.exe. You can find musicbee.exe's parent folder by right-clicking on it in Task Manager and selecting "Open file location".
- Shut down your computer and boot Ubuntu Live from the flash drive. You may need to modify your UEFI/BIOS settings to get it to boot from the flash drive instead of booting your Windows installation.
- Select Ubuntu in the first menu AFTER you've booted from the flash drive.
- On the next menu, choose to boot from the drive rather than installing Ubuntu.
- Now you should finally be into the Ubuntu desktop. Open the file manager and copy the .dll from wherever you saved it to both the same directory as musicbee.exe AND the plugins directory. I'm not sure if you need both, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
- Shut down Ubuntu and reboot into Windows.
BEFORE booting into Ubuntu.
AFTER booting into Ubuntu.
- Save your recovery key by right-clicking on the encrypted drive (in Windows) and selecting "Manage Bitlocker", then "Backup your recover key".
- You can either save it to a text file or to your Microsoft account. In either case, it's a long set of numbers (8 sets of 6, with dashes in between).
- Open software center, click on edit, and the software sources. Then check the box that says "Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe)".
- Follow the instructions here to unlock and mount your drive. Where it says to type in your password as "-u<password>", use "-p<recovery key>" instead, where you replace "<recovery key>" with the long number you saved before, INCLUDING the dashes, and making sure there is NOT a space between "-p" and the beginning of your recovery key.
- Copy the .dll as described above.
While modifying files in the Ubuntu environment, you should be careful to not modify anything else, because you could corrupt your MusicBee or worse, Windows installation.
Have you tried windows commands TAKEOWN and ICACLS
icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /save "C:\temp\WindowsApps.acl"
(note the folders ownership using file properties > security tab > advanced .OWNER is at the top)
takeown "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"
icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /grant USERLOGIN:(OI)(CI)(RX,W)
This should work to secure it again
You could use icacls /reset to restore the permissions. I try to stay away from icacls /reset because it doesn't account for addon's, well a least on servers.
icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /restore "C:\temp\WindowsApps.acl"
icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" or whatever you noted in advanced security above
EDITED to remove duplicate very long quotes - phred