Author Topic: (Version 3.1) Spotify Integration Plugin  (Read 103055 times)

Dedken

Hello,

I'm a brand new MB user and I am in no way a coder or techie. Although this plugin doesn't actually do what I hoped it would do, I have nevertheless managed to install it and get it to work exactly as the designer intended (I think, anyway!).  I achieved this by:

a) making sure I had the latest downloads of MB (from the website, not the Windows store) and of this plugin.
b) following the steps in the video above exactly, making sure the correct files were copied to the correct location.

If you do this I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Things to note:
c) the plugin takes a track playing from your physical library (you know, the one on your PC etc) and then mirrors it to Spotify.
d) this enables you to very quickly add your owned library to your streaming library (by clicking on the 'Track/Album Saved in Library' etc link), providing that track exists on Spotify.
e) that's it. That's all it does.

Therefore you have to be playing a track from your physical library, for it to show in the plugin. If you are not playing a track from your physical library then you will see the 'No track found! comment. Although that said, it sometimes finds a similarly named track instead of the correct one.

What the plugin does not do:
f) play tracks in the Spotify client.
g) sync tracks in reverse from Spotify to MB - it's a one-way syncing service.

Bonne chance!

meta

Any time I play a track using this plugin, my MusicBee throws an error and then crashes.

Code
MusicBee v3.4.7764.37422D  (Win10.0), 6 Nov 2022 12:52:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.<ReceiveNotification>d__21.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_1(Object state)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Initially thought it was an incompatibility with another plugin, but this same error happens even when I clear both my C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins folder and my %appdata%\MusicBee\Plugins folder and only install this one. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Same error here, the plugin maker kindly included the source files in the plugin download so I'm sure if they are too busy, one of us can suss this out. I'll take a look sometime myself too to see what's gone wrong but I'm more of a game programmer than a native plugin programmer. I disabled the plugin for now in my install of the Windows Store version.

For me the plugin didn't ever install or work properly until I installed this other spotify plugin first https://www.getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/340/copy-spotify-url/
was something to do with EmbedIO.dll every time I tried to install, or the plugin couldn't access musicbeeplugin.plugin until I installed that other plugin first then tried to install spotify integration plugin by navigating to the mb_Spotify-Plugin.dll using the 'Add Plugin' button in MusicBee.

I think the issue is due to missing steps that seems to only be shown in the video. After copying the files to your Plugins folder, you need to enable the mb_spotify_plugin element on Layout (1). Once this is saved, you will be taken to the Spotify page to approve access to your account. After that is approved, you can play music in Musicbee with no errors. Here are the steps I took:

1. Closed Musicbee if open
2. Downloaded the plugin ZIP file
3. Extracted the contents
4. Copied the DLL files from the Plugins folder
5. Pasted the DLL files here: C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins
6. Launched Musicbee
7. While on the Music tab, opened the Edit Preferences
8. Selected the Layout (1) option
9. Clicked the Arrange Panels button
10. Placed a check next to the mb_spotify_plugin option in the Available Elements section
11. Clicked Save and Save to exit Preferences
12. Taken to a Spotify page to authorize the Music Bee Spotify PKCE to access my Spotify account
13. Clicked on Agree
14. Taken to a Success page

From there, you should see a Spotify Plugin panel visible on the Music tab (bottom right corner on default skin) that will allow you to add the currently playing Track, Album, Artist to Spotify.

I think it is the missing panel and authentication steps that are causing this error to occur.

MBitCZ

So NB observations :

After 3 hours I can confirm that plugin works (as intended not as I expected :-))

Please be aware as stated above that plugin does only this

Things to note:
c) the plugin takes a track playing from your physical library (you know, the one on your PC etc) and then mirrors it to Spotify.
d) this enables you to very quickly add your owned library to your streaming library (by clicking on the 'Track/Album Saved in Library' etc link), providing that track exists on Spotify.
e) that's it. That's all it does.

I use steps from post above.

And here are some tricky parts which I must overcome (maybe related to the problem of user "aktimoose")

1) My installation is from the site not store (but maybe in past I have it from store), so I rather check and have obviously Plugins folder under the Program Files but also! in AppData/Roaming/MusicBee
2) I install some test plugin from MB from zip, to see where it will be stored - it saves under AppData/Roaming/MusicBee/Plugins so I use this folder for spotify plugin
3) Follow instructons above - the mb_spotify_plugin after click on it put itself to right panel - nothing happen then (no authorization)
4) In right panel where you can also change to lyrics I found finaly spotify plugin - after change to it , it takes me to auth page - and voila it works

and finaly thx to author of plugin

renius28

@meta You're a life-saver. With the developer's video down, there are no written instructions to install this plugin. With your steps, I can confirm that the plugin continues to function. This makes following artists from my personal collection a lot easier.

brandonluciano824

Thanks to meta's post, plugin works perfectly for what I need it to do.

I did however end up using my secondary spotify account, would anyone know how to swap to authorize an different account instead? Would I have to uninstall and reinstall, I haven't tried incase it breaks something? I am dumb, there's an option to reauthenticate where it shows the track information.

I've got over 10K tracks, I'll have to manually add everything so I can add it to Spotify, got my work cut out for me  :)
Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 06:10:50 PM by brandonluciano824