Author Topic: DSD file information and HDCD plugin  (Read 13295 times)

HeavyFede

Hi, first of all I want to thank the developer to provide a so usefull and well made FREE software, said that I noticed the following issues:

1) The <bit depth> and <sample rate> tags stopped to work for my .dsf files (DSD), more precisely bit depth is completely missing while sample rate is 88.2 kHz while it should be 2.8 MHz, but the stangest thing is that for older albums the info is correct (1 bit / 2.8 MHz) while for newly added albums is wrong (missing / 88.2 kHz) so now in the library I have a mix of the two.
As another proof of the strange behaviour if I remove an album and then re-add it gets wrong attributes.

2) The HDCD doesn't work, I noticed that when I enable it and then playback an album there is no information showed in the footer so I don't know if it is working or not. Moreover if I exit the program and reopen the EQ panel HDCD.dll has no tick, each time I close the program it loses the selection.

Here some screenshots:

The current version of MusicBee I'm using is 3.3.7261 Portable

I thank you in advance for any usefull answer.
Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:08:32 AM by HeavyFede

sveakul

Does anything change after you try Tools->Advanced->Rescan All Files?

HeavyFede

Hi sveakul, thank you for your answer, I followed your suggestion and now all DSD are 88.2 kHz (should be 2.8 MHz) and bit depth missing (should be 1 bit), I really can't figure out what happened and why all DSD files show wrong properties.
Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:13:51 AM by HeavyFede

djony

I have the same problem of HDCD plugin that is not working anymore since Windows 10 has been updated to the latest version 20H2. I don't know exactly the issue but the other laptop with Windows 10 1909 still working well. I have seen this plugin hasn't been updated since a long time. Hope this can be fixed soon.

jogas

Hello
I am a very new user of this player, everything works fine except for  DSD files,
I am using a Topping E30 DAC on a win 10 PC (latest version) with the suggested Topping drivers already installed.
When I try to configure the player I select OUTPUT ASIO and then can choose between foo_dsd, and Topping DAC. Despite all the possible combination, the only way the get music of a DSD 64 or 128 file is to set PCM output, on the contrary i hear a hiss or a kind of white noise with a display showing details like the screenshot below.
Am I wrong on any setup?
Thanks in advance for your help

[img[/img]

ememMusic

I'm having the same problem with DSF files. Ever since version 3.3 (on Windows 10).

I can confirm that version 3.2.6902 (running on a different computer - Windows 7) marks the files correctly as 1 bit with the right sample rate.

Reading up a bit on the inner workings, I've also tried swapping all the BASS dlls (from 3.2 to my latest 3.3), but that didn't make a difference. 3.3 (latest build) with the DLLs from 3.2 still marks the DSF files wrongly (no bit depth and the wrong sample rate - 88.2khz).
Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:42:21 PM by ememMusic

sveakul

I'm no expert on DSD/DSF, but just to rule out a few things why don't you try updating to MusicBee 3.4 from here https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=32142.msg187516#new and giving it another shot.  If that doesn't work, keep 3.4, but try updating bass.dll to the one here www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass.zip (back up the original first), and be sure you are using bassdsd.dll version 2.4.1.2.  If still a no-go, I would suspect a Windows 10 version issue as reported by djony above.

ememMusic

I installed 3.3.7491 on Windows 7, replacing the 3.2 version. That one then produces the same problem with the dsf files. Wrong sample rate, no bit depth mentioned, where version 3.2 imported them correctly.

Version 3.3 / 3.4 on Windows 10. Same problem.

It's not bugging me that much that I'm gonna try 3.2 on Windows 10.  ;D

I think Windows 7 proves the point already. It seems somehow related to the MusicBee version, not to Windows 10.

The BASS dll version for all my experiments was 2.4.1.2.

(note that there's two issues in this thread... I'm not talking about the HDCD plugin - I don't use that one - but about the properties of a .dsf not being displayed correctly, which is the first point of topic starter)
Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:44:11 PM by ememMusic

sveakul

The BASS dll version for all my experiments was 2.4.1.2.

]You mean that was version of bassdsd.dll, right?  Did you try replacing bass.dll with version 2.4.15.29 from the link I gave you?  Just to complete the BASS experiment--then I'm all out of things to try, maybe Steven can help on why the DSF files show the wrong bit and sample rate.  BTW what kind of audio device are you using and how is your output set?

Edit:  I downloaded a test DSF here http://samplerateconverter.com/free-files/samples/dsf/sweep-176400hz-0-22050hz-20s-D128-5.6mhz.zip ; while it plays fine can confirm that in the file properties the sample rate is erroneously shown as 88.2kHz (should be 5.6mHz) and bit depth does not show--all as reported by HeavyFede and ememMusic.  My MusicBee is 3.4.7724, Windows 10 v. 2004, current versions of all bass dll's.  The newest AIMP player shows the bit depth (1) and sample rate correctly; both players tested using wasapi-exclusive output.  AIMP uses its own non-BASS dsd plugin.
Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:29:54 AM by sveakul

sveakul

In case it helps Steven:  I copied my existing up-to-date portable install and made a test folder unchanged in content except for the fact that MusicBee.exe 3.4.7724 was replaced with MusicBee.exe 3.2.6902.  Looking at the sample DSF file linked to in my last post, Edit/Properties then indeed showed the bit depth (1), and the sample rate as HALF the actual 5.6mHz (??).  So the issue lies somewhere (.."along the infinite corridors of time"--any Time Tunnel fans out there??) within the MusicBee.exe file, as postulated by ememMusic.
Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:44:21 AM by sveakul

Steven

• Administrator
If you right click/ send to/ rescan file then it should show the correct source file sample rate. It intentionally doesnt show the 1bit info

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

ememMusic

If you right click/ send to/ rescan file then it should show the correct source file sample rate. It intentionally doesnt show the 1bit info

Hey Steven,

That worked.

It does show the 1-bit info, like it used to, in the Type field, if you click on the properties of one track (not the whole album). Right click on track -> Edit -> Properties. Behind the "DSF audio file" it says '1-bit' (which was lacking in 3.3). And the sample rate is correct.

As far as I'm concerned this is now fixed to what it was originally in 3.2.

Thanks.

sveakul

Thanks Steven this fixed it for the sample DSF I mentioned as well, even showing the 1bit info.  And unlike with the 3.2.6902 test I did sample rate is now the full 5.6mHz instead of 2.8mHz.  Done and done!

ememMusic

Hello
I am a very new user of this player, everything works fine except for  DSD files,
I am using a Topping E30 DAC on a win 10 PC (latest version) with the suggested Topping drivers already installed.
When I try to configure the player I select OUTPUT ASIO and then can choose between foo_dsd, and Topping DAC. Despite all the possible combination, the only way the get music of a DSD 64 or 128 file is to set PCM output, on the contrary i hear a hiss or a kind of white noise with a display showing details like the screenshot below.
Am I wrong on any setup?
Thanks in advance for your help

[img[/img]

Hey Jogas,

I have the Gustard A22, which is sort of similar to the Topping. For playback I mostly use Foobar, which does a good job with .dsf files.

So today I tried MusicBee for the first time for .dsf files and I have the same problem as you have. I think the difference is that Foobar uses an additional decoder (SACD input). Without it (with just ASIO and the USB drivers) it's also impossible in Foobar. I do get some results in MusicBee, but it's either full PCM conversion or a pretty ugly DOP, which seems to confuse the DAC quite a bit. I think the DSD stream needs some additional care by a specialized decoder.

So my idea is that until someone writes a SACD or DSF plugin, this is not going to work in MusicBee.

sveakul

Hey Jogas,

I have the Gustard A22, which is sort of similar to the Topping. For playback I mostly use Foobar, which does a good job with .dsf files.

So today I tried MusicBee for the first time for .dsf files and I have the same problem as you have. I think the difference is that Foobar uses an additional decoder (SACD input). Without it (with just ASIO and the USB drivers) it's also impossible in Foobar. I do get some results in MusicBee, but it's either full PCM conversion or a pretty ugly DOP, which seems to confuse the DAC quite a bit. I think the DSD stream needs some additional care by a specialized decoder.

So my idea is that until someone writes a SACD or DSF plugin, this is not going to work in MusicBee.

While this is obviously a YMMV situation depending on hardware, etc. some people are getting good results using DOP via ASIO in MusicBee with DSD64 and DSD128 files (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=34298.msg187960#msg187960).  Check the referenced thread for info on file versions used, etc.