Author Topic: Locate Playing Track At Source - Always On Option.  (Read 2444 times)

The_Music_Console

I would love to see Steven add this feature enhancement to this wonderfully crafted music program.

What if you are able to add a command to the program to "ALWAYS" locate playing track at source?

It would make it more actively jump around the library as songs are played with the look achieved by the locate playing track at source feature that the player has built in. It would enhance the look and feel of the program.

If you are able to add a check box [√] (beside the feature) the same color as the app highlight color (the default - Light Teal Blue color?) that turns it on and off it would give a nice look.

I thank you for your time, attention and consideration to my feature request.

This player is very nice! (but it is missing something) Thank you! :)

Last Edit: Today at 01:44:25 AM
Side Note:
I notice there is a "locate track in current tab option" in the player from time to time. It doesn't seem to locate the track with a highlight color if the album is already in the tab view. Whatever song is highlighted stays highlighted when you select locate track in current tab.

This does also happen when the "locate track at source" is available in the player. It doesn't always apply the highlight color to the current playing track.

"locate track in current tab" (seems like a coding error to be removed)

"locate track at source"
Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:44:25 AM by The_Music_Console

phred

• Global Moderator
First off, there are no "you guys" with MB. It is developed by one person, in his spare time, and asks for nothing in return.

As for your first request, what would be the point when one can simply right-click on any track and locate the track. Unless I'm missing something, I see no reason to automate this, nor do I see how it would enhance anything.

Your second request needs some further explanation. "A light"??? Where? Why?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I thought there was already a command that did this? Look at Now Playing preferences. I'll verify when I'm in a better position to do so.

Update: see if the "highlight playing track" feature isn't what you're looking for.
Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:45:40 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

The_Music_Console

Hello psychoadept,
Thank you for the reply and the welcome.  :)

I appreciate you trying to help me in response to my post. I have seen the setting for Now Playing preferences but that doesn't update the GUI to show the album info for the current track being played if the artist has more than one album any differently than if you don't apply that setting. It just highlights the currently playing track. (In my limited use of it.)

As I see the issue or situation can be improved or fixed by considering the following.

If you right click on the main player and select the "Locate Playing Track At Source" the player will take the focus and put it on the album being played which brings up the album song list and highlights the now playing track. Ok, Cool. :)

So..

Without having to right click on the main player and selecting..  the "Locate Playing Track At Source".
If you have a single album for an artist, the player will take the focus and put it on the album being played which brings up the album song list and highlights the now playing track.
Ok, Cool. :)

But,

If you have 10 albums of an artist in the library the player "will not display or open the album info" the same way it will if you have a single album for an artist. Unless: You right click and select the "Locate Playing Track At Source".
Ok, Not Cool. :(

This feature should be able to be active all the time for those people that want to see the album info for the current playing track without having to keep right clicking on the main player and selecting "Locate Playing Track At Source". Ok, Not Cool. :(

I hope this makes my feature request more  clear to readers that couldn't understand why I might be asking for the  "Locate Playing Track At Source" feature enhancement.

"PS." The light is to indicate that you have enabled the "Always On" (Feature) of the "Locate Playing Track At Source" feature enhancement. or the light/indicator will be off if it is disabled. It could be just another check box [√] within the app.
Unless I'm missing something

I know Steven has a lot of things he is working on but IMHO, it seems like a real shame to "Not" make full use of the already built in "Locate Playing Track At Source" feature.
Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:22:28 AM by The_Music_Console

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not 100% sure i understand what you're asking for, but it sounds like it might just be a current limitation of the "highlight playing track" feature. If you've chosen "select track" for the playing track, it should have the same effect as locate playing track at source, but maybe it's not working as expected in artist or album cover view.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

The_Music_Console

I'm not 100% sure i understand what you're asking for, but it sounds like it might just be a current limitation of the "highlight playing track" feature. If you've chosen "select track" for the playing track, it should have the same effect as locate playing track at source, but maybe it's not working as expected in artist or album cover view.

Hey psychoadept, thanks again for the reply.

I am stating that the player is not capable of displaying album information on artists in the library that have more than one album unless you right click the player and select "Locate Track At Source" and that just seems redundant for viewing and functioning purposes when listening to and viewing your collection in a robust library application.

I am sorry if I sound rude or insulting but that is far from my point. but..
How can you enjoy an app that doesn't update now playing info without user input?

fwiw, You might find comfort in the fact that maybe people are willing to pay money (donate) for an app that works beautifully.
Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:07:46 AM by The_Music_Console

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've never heard any complaints before about MusicBee's ability to get album or artist info. Can you provide a screenshot of what it is that you can only see when using "locate playing track at source"? All that command does is navigate to the location of the track in the library, so there must be something else I'm missing here.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

The_Music_Console

I've never heard any complaints before about MusicBee's ability to get album or artist info. Can you provide a screenshot of what it is that you can only see when using "locate playing track at source"? All that command does is navigate to the location of the track in the library, so there must be something else I'm missing here.

Most certainly. Give me a bit to collect my details and upload them.  8)

The_Music_Console

The top picture shows the players default display view style.

The bottom picture shows the display style after I have selected  "Locate Track At Source"

See how the look is different. I want the bottom view shown all the time as each track plays from each album.

It will only show that style or view on the bottom picture if there is only 1 album for the artist.

If there is more than 1 album for an artist I need to select  "Locate Track At Source" every time a new song plays to bring up the album info.

The top picture should have displayed like this..

If the highlight feature was working every time it would look like this...

Here is a quick sample of what an active album display might look like.

That's the idea right? Why isn't it working for me?
Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:06:26 PM by The_Music_Console

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, that looks like an oversight in the way the view is expanded. Steven can probably address it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

The_Music_Console

Yes, that looks like an oversight in the way the view is expanded. Steven can probably address it.

That is what I was wanting to hear. Thank you.

I added a note to my first post. I don' t know if you saw it..

Side Note:
I notice there is a "locate track in current tab option" in the player from time to time. It doesn't seem to locate the track with a highlight color if the album is already in the tab view. Whatever song is highlighted stays highlighted when you select locate track in current tab.

This does also happen when the "locate track at source" is available in the player. It doesn't always apply the highlight color to the current playing track.

"locate track in current tab" (seems like a coding error to be removed)

"locate track at source"

These 2 items seem to strike me as possibly being connected and sharing commands or maybe the name is miss labeled somewhere? It could be a function that I don't understand or ?

I thought it might be important to mention that there are times when I don't see the locate playing track at source like I should. I see a tab saying Locate playing track in current tab. This did appear in my expanded view I show in the screenshots. Maybe it is caused because I was viewing an artist with one album or ?

Maybe it is nothing?

So this player should automatically load the album for every song that plays like shown in my quick sample of what an active album display might look like. Each picture would represent a track played directly after the other?
Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 07:09:17 PM by The_Music_Console

Steven

• Administrator
That's the idea right? Why isn't it working for me?
yes its an oversight. This should fix the handling for artists with multiple albums

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

The_Music_Console

Steven, You are the Hero. 8)  and a very belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thank you for your reply and patch. I was able to apply your patch to my windows 10 x64 1809 OS. It worked and I was happy to see it was working (Wow).

The thing is, I wasn't able to enable the SMB 1 feature in Windows 10 and connect to my SMB network and I couldn't fix it with DISM, so I had to reinstall a fresh OS. I reinstalled Windows 10 x64 1809 (3 times) and tried with/without the patch each time with no luck. I also tried to install the latest MusicBee release and it didn't work. Now your patch doesn't work anymore. I don't know what might be different now that is not allowing the patch to work anymore? (Have I entered a new reality?) The player isn't changing for artists with only one album anymore either. I have to think that is what is different somehow. If you could help me with this again, I would be so very grateful.

I still think it would be nicer to have that feature as an option to turn on/off. If it was always on it would change the player's other styles too much? Would you consider adding it as an option to turn on/off? I don't think there would be an issue anymore if it was coded to locate track at source as if you are doing it manually each time but as a setting that does it for you at the beginning of each song.

But, I'd take whatever I could get as a "patch".

I saw you sent me that reply and patch on Christmas. Man, what a Christmas Gift. Wow.. Thank you.  I just wish it was still working after I fixed my SMB with a clean install. Arr.  :(
Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:17:03 PM by The_Music_Console