Author Topic: Does playing a track on a DAP later the play count on musicbee once reconnected?  (Read 3679 times)

WilliamLucas

I’m in the process of finally breaking away from apple and iTunes. I’ve been playing around with various music players, and so far musicbee is definitely my favourite.

I’m still awaiting my Sony NW-A55 (only ordered it 3 weeks ago!) so I’m not sure of how compatible they are with each other, though I’m curious as to wether the play count will be affected when reconnecting my DAP to my laptop?

SkyZippr

Marukomu

Is there any way to get the sync to work in the other direction? I'm mainly interested in play counts.

Marukomu

Thanks. I'm not familiar with last.fm. How does it work? Does the walkman need to be online (which I don't think it can) or does it take the data from the SD card somehow?

frankz

Thanks. I'm not familiar with last.fm. How does it work?

https://www.last.fm/about/trackmymusic

Does the walkman need to be online (which I don't think it can) or does it take the data from the SD card somehow?
If you can pull a play history from the device, you can use this:

https://github.com/coczero/Last.fm-Scrubbler-WPF

How the device operates and interacts with other services is really a question for a forum in support of that device.  But the answer to your MB question (how to update play counts in MB from a device that doesn't sync back to MB) is last.fm. 
Tell MB to sync last.fm play counts.
Scrobble from MB.
Scrobble from your Device.
All plays are reflected in MB.
Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 12:24:10 PM by frankz

Marukomu

Thanks. That makes sense. It's the scrobbling from the device bit that I can't seem to find any info on. I'll keep looking.

SkyZippr

The short answer would be: unfortunately you can't do that.
A-series Walkmans are not Android-based (except for the latest A10x's), meaning you can't install any app to scrobble to Last.fm.

Marukomu

Thanks. That's what I feared. So now I need to think if the A45 is the right player for me if it can't sync both ways.

frankz

As I said earlier, if you can export a play history from the device to your computer, you can upload those plays from your computer to last.fm using this.

https://github.com/coczero/Last.fm-Scrubbler-WPF

It's not impossible.

SkyZippr

I think it would be best to contact Sony's customer support to see if A-series Walkman keep play history in the database.
Even Sony's own Music Center for PC doesn't seem to sync back the playcount from Walkman's.

frankz

As his question was about synching back play counts from the device I assumed that the counts were being tracked and stored somewhere on the device.

Is this not the case OP?

boroda

As his question was about synching back play counts from the device I assumed that the counts were being tracked and stored somewhere on the device.

Is this not the case OP?
Marukomu (he owns A55) has said: "It is android based but I don't think you can install any apps on it. ".

frankz

Is this not the case OP?
Marukomu (he owns A55) has said: "It is android based but I don't think you can install any apps on it. ".
OK.  But that doesn't address whether the device stores the play counts in a database.

For example, when I used an iPod Touch, I couldn't scrobble from it. But i had a utility that would pull the play history from it. I did this once a week, and then uploaded that week's history to last.fm via the tool I referenced earlier.

Nothing to do with Android.
Nothing to do with installing any apps.

If it does track its own play counts, then he should be able to access them and get them to last.fm somehow.
If it does not track its own play counts, what was he asking about being synched back to MB in the first place?
Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:35:38 PM by frankz