Author Topic: What’s the best, safest way to convert custom tags stored in MBs database?  (Read 1285 times)

zigzag10

I’ve mistakenly being storing sub-genres as several custom tags in MBs database and as I’ve no started to use some other software that can handle this info I really want to transfer the sub-genres (contained in the custom tags) so that they feature in individual tracks.  That’s to say, rather than forming part of MBs database I would like the sub-genres to be contained, as metadata, in my music files.

I’ve read various threads about creating custom tags, but couldn’t find anything about this particular issue.

I had concluded that it would just be a matter of creating a ‘new Custom Tag Definition’ and then changing ‘the save to music file as tag’, from ‘Save to MusicBee Database Only’ to the appropriate custom tag; and while this caused my collection to be rescanned, the process failed, with only a very small number of custom tags being converted across to the music files.  Fortunately, on that occasion I had backed up MB so nothing was lost, though I would now like to have another go at this, and this time get it right.  Has anybody any pointers? Am I missing something?

boroda

i believe that its better not to convert existing tag, but instead define new custom tag, which is stored in music files, then copy values from 1st custom tag to the second tag. to copy tags use this plugin:

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/49/additional-tagging-amp-reporting-tools/

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, to be on the safe side I would use the method boroda recommends
Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 03:35:59 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

zigzag10

i believe that its better not to convert existing tag, but instead define new custom tag, which is stored in music files, then copy values from 1st custom tag to the second tag. to copy tags use this plugin:

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/49/additional-tagging-amp-reporting-tools/

many thanks boroda, I'll try what you suggest