Author Topic: Empty Playlist on Phone  (Read 6993 times)

Erla

Hello everyone,
I'm going to try to explain my problem.

Since i've changed my phone (a S10e) i've a problem when i'm sync my library with playlists.

All my musicbee's playlist are syncing on my phone with all the music but in every music player (phonograph, vlc or samsung player) every Playlists are Empty.

I'v tried (so hard) manny tips :

- Put music and playlists in another folder, in my SD card
- Tried to synced playlist un PLA, M3U8 etc
- Transformed my playlist in Musiccbee in m3u for transfert in M3u
- Reboot my phone and format it
- tried on Musicbee install normal mode on windows10 app
- and many other tries

But nothing.
Evry time my playlists are empty. All of them. And worst, i tried to add music in music player it, i can't modify them on my phone.

I have the lastest music bee program (3.3.7261) and Android 10 n my S10e.

If someone has a clue T_T

Thanks a lot !

veermaharaj

So i have an asus zenphone 6 running android 10 and this is a PITA.

If i pull my SDCARD and mount it in a card reader and use MBEE to sync my playlists to it as a generic removeable disk, m3u (not relative filepaths) i can stick the card in my phone and blackplayer / jetaudio will read my playlists just fine. But eventually 2 or 3 of my playlists will go empty for no reason.

Here is the annoying part. If i try to sync to the sdcard in my phone over usb, here is what happens.
If i sync to m3u relative or not, the playlists appear in the media player but are empty.
If i delete the m3u files and do it in pla, the pla files dont even appear in the music player and read as 0 kb in the file manager.

NOW IT GETS WEIRD.
If i sync the m3u files (absolute or relative it doesn't matter they turn up as empty in the player), and then go in sync setting and change it to pla (but do not delete the m3u files i previously synced), and now sync as pla, the playlists on the phone's sd card in the file manager will now all still be m3u, and read as 0 kb file size, but in my music player, the playlists are all populated and useable. However at some point a couple of them do go empty for a reason i have no idea about.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?????

Before the android 10 update on the zenphone, all the playlists were failing to sync successfully. So after the android 10 update, that issue disappeared, but now the playlists arent being read properly.

I think it may be an android 10 issue. I hope the dev can compensate for this in some way. My music collection is how i get through the day and not having my playlists is painful.

I really don't wanna get a dedicated dap because using that in the car and using bt handsfree while driving is a hassle.

ignatious

I had this same issue on my S10 after the Android update. Never got any info on how to fix it on this forum. Have had to switch to a different media management program to compensate for this now. Am also really hoping somebody figures out a fix for this.

Steven

• Administrator
I have just upgraded to android 10 and no issues for me. I guess the issue must be device specific (I am using a Nokia)

Gizfreak

NOW IT GETS WEIRD.
If i sync the m3u files (absolute or relative it doesn't matter they turn up as empty in the player), and then go in sync setting and change it to pla (but do not delete the m3u files i previously synced), and now sync as pla, the playlists on the phone's sd card in the file manager will now all still be m3u, and read as 0 kb file size, but in my music player, the playlists are all populated and useable. However at some point a couple of them do go empty for a reason i have no idea about.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?????

Yes, that's weird but thanks to you I got my playlists working on my phone again so THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I too have problems synchronising my playlists from Musicbee to my phone, a OnePlus 6 with Android 10. I just installed the newest version of Musicbee but without this weird workaround they show up as empty in every music player I tried. Hopefully it's getting fixed soon.

Steven

• Administrator
Try the latest patch version which should work
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

Strange Entity

I've got the same issue with Android 10, but for me I have a Nokia 7 Plus.

The following was tested with both Shuttle and Foobar2000 apps on Android. The music app that is launched when trying to open the .m3u through the Files system app of Android refuses to work with all of the attempted fixes and the original situation.

Doesnt work:

With relative paths:
..\Rock\song.mp3
Without relative paths:
\Music\Rock\song.mp3
Without relative paths but with forward slashes instead of backslash:
/Music/Rock/song.mp3

Does work:
With relative paths and with forward slashes instead of backslash:
../Rock/song.mp3
With absolute paths and with forward slashes instead of backslash (not optiomal as the sd-card has a different name on each phone):
/storage/0472-17F9/Music/Rock/song.mp3

Solution thanks to:
https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/eqptnc/empty_playlists_for_samsung_music_app_need_help/

Tried both the newest version of MusicBee through the download link and link provided in this topic, neither fixed the issue.
Seems a lot of people are having this issue, regardless of brand or program/apps used. Just search for "android 10" empty playlists.

Edit:
Just remembered, the playlists only stopped working after the first time I synched my playlists with MusicBee after upgrading to Android 10.
Might I request a function if more people have this issue to have some sort of Android 10 switch/checkmark under the Settings tab of the device and have it change all \ to / and force relative paths? This because all other Android versions (9 and older) dont seem to have this issue with any device.
Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:24:11 PM by Strange Entity

Steven

• Administrator
did you check that the new "use unix file convention" option on the device sync settings was ticked?

Strange Entity

did you check that the new "use unix file convention" option on the device sync settings was ticked?

At first I didnt see the option, apparently my antivirus only removed the exe file from the temp folder I extracted the zip file to (and was too busy with other stuff to notice the popup from my antivirus....).
I now see the option after also copying the exe file, but only using "use unix file convention" doesnt seem to fix the issue, I have to use "use relative file paths" to make sure the playlists appear filled on my phone. Using only 1 of the 2 options (no matter which one) seems to result in the empty playlist issue.

wigster

Hi all - I was having this problem today, having upgraded from S7 to S10.

When I moved over, I just took the SD card out of the S7 and dropped it into the S10

Having tried the tricks for changing the / and \ round, I think part of my problem was that there was a Playlists folder in the root of the SD card with some playlist files in.

After removing them, all but one of my playlists is now syncing correctly. The one that isn't, I dunno what's going on there.

The track counts are near enough complete between the phone and MB, except for the one that is showing zero on the phone, but 2,100 in MB.

Perhaps it'll sync up properly next time.....

ettelaiv

I've had the same issue for several years now, on my Samsung Galaxy S7 and now on my S10e which I just synchronized, cannot get a single playlist synchronized without it being empty. I use the Windows 10 store app and couldn't find the "use unix file convention" except in the library preferences (but I don't think that would affect device sync). Any updates by any chance?

ettelaiv

Well look at that, it just worked haha, three years in the making. Absolutely no idea which one of the changes I made did the trick but here's a summary:
- In device sync I checked "use relative file paths" and used the M3U8 format
- I deleted the existing Playlists folders on my SD card (I had one within the Music folder and one outside)
- In File Menu > Edit > Edit Preferences > Library in the playlists section I checked 'use relative file paths" and "use unix file convention" and chose M3U8 as the export format. Technically it shouldn't affect the device sync but apparently it does, someone else reported this here https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18934.0.

Hope this helps.

P.S: I believe I have only posted to this forum to report/"complain" about issues so now is as good a time as any to say this : Musicbee is the best desktop music player I ever used and I truly appreciate all the work that is done to keep it going. It is simple, powerful and fast.