Author Topic: MB HELP file improvements. Online help  (Read 3188 times)

VX

MusicBee is getting better and better with every weekly release. New functions are introduced and there are more and more options within the app. That's great  :)

If I could suggest something I'd update MusicBee help file accordingly. In most cases I can find relevant info and configuration options on the forum but the topics introducing the implemented changes are located in various sections (Wishlist, Bug Reports, General...). Users who don't visit the forum regularly seem to have some problems to find them (despite the Search function ;))

Furthermore, a lot of useful feedback is provided upon users' requests - I'm sure some excerpts from Steven's and users' comments on the forum would perfectly fit in the help file or Wiki :)

A few words of explanation for every option and function would be appreciated and very helpful for most users. I guess it's easier to update the help file (or Wiki) at the time new function or option is described or explained on the forum.
If users found what they are looking for in the help file they wouldn't keep asking about the same features and options on the forum.

And the Wishlist would be shorter I guess  ;) For example all Layout settings that can be configured in various places of the app could be described in one section of the help file (Wiki) for better accessibility.

Moreover, if You want to avoid verbose help file, maybe embedded links with detailed information about a function or an option that can be found on the forum (in How-To section for instance) or a reputable external website (Hydrogenaudio or AccurateRip for example) would be the solution ??? This approach is successfully used in Foobar and many other apps for the users convenience.

Compare how understandably Drive Settings are explained in Easy CD-DA Extractor online help file. I wish MB help file was located online as well . Users could ask for the options and function under the appropriate section of the help file and its excerpts could be updated accordingly to meet users' needs.

I assume MB Wiki has failed not because it's not needed but because it's hard to build something from scratch. Just move all the help file content to the Wiki and encourage forum users to expand and update it and You will be surprised with the results :)

Explain every new function or option it the Wiki and then announce it on the forum to avoid double work.
Every time the same question is asked users could provide a link to the Wiki and update the content accordingly when it turns out the Wiki is insufficient or unclear. Instead of answering the same question in different places of the forum we could improve Wiki and help file every time a question is asked until there is no question at all  ;D

MB Wiki Home Page could look like Audacity one for example. I've never liked the editor, but its Wiki Homepage looks really user friendly IMHO.

Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:18:08 AM by VX

Steven

• Administrator
Its a shame that the wiki never took off but there is already an online help file in MB: Help/ Online Help

except its way out of date now, and the reason for that is because i am only doing this project in my spare time so there simply isnt enough time for me to update it. However i have being making an effort to update the preferences, so at some point over the new few weeks i will update that.

VX

I know that You are very busy and my intention with that online help file or Wiki is to relieve You somehow.

IMHO, the fastest way to create Wiki would be to use the content we have got:
  • move the whole help file online
  • divide it into proper Wiki sections
  • then allow users to copy/paste some excerpts form the forum
  • or provide links to reliable external sources
  • to expand and update it.
It would be great if there were a possibility to include
  • explanatory screenshots 
  • and Video tutorials as well.