Author Topic: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"  (Read 2754 times)

mistermoomoo

Been having this issue for a few months now and it's driving me crazy. I have to restart musicbee sometimes a dozen times in a single day because this keeps happening. When I try to update tags on a file, often it will say "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

I've checked resource monitor and musicbee is the only process using it. I've tried everything to fix this, musicbee is set to only scan files on startup so it shouldn't be having this issue, I've tried disabling auto organizing and every setting I could find that might be causing it to use the files. Tried these settings all after a restart and nothing has worked, the problem always reappears within a few minutes.

Would greatly appreciate any help on a setting that may be causing it or even to know if anyone else is having this issue. Found some vaguely similar topics from a while ago that didn't seem to go anywhere. Again the issue is driving me crazy!

Error log says nothing about this, only has old errors from around a week ago that seem irrelevant.

https://i.imgur.com/hGRK9cn.png

https://i.imgur.com/JAZmNQg.png

I'm running the latest version of musicbee (3.3.7261) on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. This issue has persisted through several updates now.
Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:04:17 AM by mistermoomoo

phred

• Global Moderator
Error log says nothing about this, only has old errors from around a week ago that seem irrelevant.
You say you've been having this problem for a few months so it's possible the week old entries in the Error Log may be relevant. I suggest posting them here.

I also suggest (as a wild guess) white-listing MB and the entire directory where it's installed. Depending on your AV/Security software you may have to white-list in more than one place.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

mistermoomoo

You say you've been having this problem for a few months so it's possible the week old entries in the Error Log may be relevant. I suggest posting them here.

I also suggest (as a wild guess) white-listing MB and the entire directory where it's installed. Depending on your AV/Security software you may have to white-list in more than one place.

Error log is just:
11/17/2019 9:14:42 AM - D:\Music\musicbee\:Thread was being aborted.
11/26/2019 3:10:42 AM - D:\Music\musicbee\:Thread was being aborted.
11/26/2019 3:11:31 AM - D:\Music\musicbee\:Thread was being aborted.
I think if it was logging errors pertaining to this issue it would create one whenever it happens. It happens many times a day. Good suggestion about the antivirus. I only have Windows Defender but I went ahead and whitelisted my MB install folder and my library folders, restarted the PC, and I'm still having the issue. I'm thinking it's an internal musicbee process because resource monitor says that's the only process using the files when it happens.

Steven

• Administrator
try unticking the "skip silence" dsp plugin if its enabled.
It might be useful if you sent a link to your settings file (help/ support/ view settings)

mistermoomoo

try unticking the "skip silence" dsp plugin if its enabled.
This appears to have fixed it! I won't know for sure until I do some more testing through normal use but so far it seems promising!

EDIT: This definitely fixed it! Thank you so much!
Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:33:22 PM by mistermoomoo