Author Topic: Organization  (Read 880 times)

millturn

Very new to music bee and any music programs on computer. I ripped a bunch of classical music and want to know how to put them under a classical section instead of them mixed with every other album. Thanx for any help.

hiccup

Welcome to MusicBee and the forum millturn.

The first and most obvious path would be to make sure your classical music gets tagged with 'classical' as the genre, and then use that genre tag for further filtering and separating it from your non-classical music.

(Without going into too much details immediately, in case you would like to be more specific with genres and want to use genres such as 'Baroque', Romantic' etc. it would be better to use 'genre category' as the filter.)

You could use this kind of filtering, or you could create two different libraries for classical and non-classical.
For this, it would be best to have a separate root folder 'Classical' that you can scan and refer to.

Or, and this might sound a bit weird but I have been trying this out for a while now and I may stick to it:
Have two separate portable installations of MusicBee.
One for classical, one for non-classical.

hiccup

How do I make genres?

'genre' is a tag (a label) that you can apply to (a) music file(s).
You can put information in it yourself, or you can have software filling it for you.

Do you have some basic understanding of what 'tags' are in reference to audio files?
If not, that's one of the first things you'll need to get comfortable with when trying to use music managing software such as MusicBee.

millturn

I haven't got a clue as to what a tag is, I just want all my classical albums together and rock albums together and so forth. I don't think I am interested in working with files if that refers to individual songs.

hiccup

I haven't got a clue as to what a tag is

That's precisely the reason for, and the essence of my previous reply.

If you are not interested in learning about tags, you'd better stay away from any computer software related to handling songs, albums and music libraries.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I might not be as discouraging as hiccup, but to get what you want you're going to HAVE to learn a little bit about how to tag your files and set up MusicBee to use your tags.  This is a good place to start: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Tagging

All you really need is a "classical" genre and a playlist or filter for "classical". If you're concerned about organizing files on your drive, that's a bigger can of worms but tagging is still where you need to start.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

I might not be as discouraging as hiccup

'discouraging' is an interpretation and a qualification.
I just stated what is factual in my opinion.

If a user has no understanding of what tagging is, and is not interested in learning about it, it's not going to be any fun trying to use any software such as MusicBee.

millturn

psychoadept, Okay I got the edit box and put a check in the genre box and typed Classical and figured out how to make a playlist. I think I got it now. Thank you for understanding what I was trying to do and not making a big deal out of it. Much appreciated.
Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:39:08 PM by millturn

millturn

I might not be as discouraging as hiccup, but to get what you want you're going to HAVE to learn a little bit about how to tag your files and set up MusicBee to use your tags.  This is a good place to start: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Tagging

All you really need is a "classical" genre and a playlist or filter for "classical". If you're concerned about organizing files on your drive, that's a bigger can of worms but tagging is still where you need to start.

Thanx it is working great and I still don't know or care what a tag is

hiccup

and I still don't know or care what a tag is

Perhaps that's a less worse way of looking at things as I would figure.
"What you don't know won't hurt you."
(Thomas Gray, 1742)

Not something I live by though.