Author Topic: genre tags from last.fm  (Read 11304 times)

blast664

Two little issues:
1: Currently MusicBee looks up the genres song-wise when updating the genre tags from last.fm , right?
This leads to multiple genre tags in one album. Well, I don't like that.  :-\
Could an album-wise or artist-wise search be implemented?
So all songs of one album or even all songs of one artist would have the same genre tag after updating.

2: Is it possible to use only the first or the most popular genre tag from last.fm for updating?

Thanks and Cheers.

Steven

• Administrator
the last beta version (1.2.4090) gets genres from musicbrainz or freedb and only if none found then last.fm (before it was getting genres from last.fm). The genres from last.fm are selected starting from the most popular already. Now if you really only want genres from last.fm (i think the ones on musicbraiz are much better), then you can use the Auto-Tag by Track/Update tags using Last.fm Tag Cloud.

for multiple genre handling there is an existing setting in the auto-tag by tracks dialog, and what i have done is put it in the Tags(2) preferences. If you have it unticked, only one genre will be retrieved.
The change is included in this version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9zsd4c37zdpajh5

In terms of consistency, the auto-tag by album function is the one to use. Or if you do use auto-tag by track because its fully automated, then make sure you have all tracks in the album selected. MB will apply the same genre for all tracks in the album in the same tagging dialog. But if you do it as 2 seperate auto-tag by track sessions then its not guaranteed. This is how MB behaves already.
Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:03:37 PM by Steven

blast664

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I did use the auto tag by track option because of the automation. MB does not use the same genre for every song of one album.

I checked it again using just one album wich I tagged before using the auto tag by album option. So the other tags of these songs were correct.
After this, applying the last.fm genre update results in 5 different genres.

Steven

• Administrator
what do you mean by "applying the last.fm genre update" ?

blast664

I meant the option "Auto-Tag by Track" >>> "Overwrite Tags using last.fm Tag Cloud".

Steven

• Administrator
i confirm its not caching the genre when using that function (its only done for AutoTag by Track/Identify Track and Update Tags)
so i will look to implement something.

Steven

• Administrator
i've made a few changes:
- last.fm genres are now always filtered by a whitelist (previously the whitelist was only used from "Update Tags using Last.fm Tag Cloud")
- the whitelist is editable via the Tags(2) preferences: Include Genres button
- when using "Update Tags using Last.fm Tag Cloud" and you have genres enabled for update, the genre tags are now retrieved from the last.fm album tag list (previously they were from the last.fm track tag list). They are also cached per album, so all tagged tracks in the album will get the same tags
- the other track auto-tagging function "Identify Track and Update Tags" now also caches genre tags by album rather than by artist as previously

http://www.mediafire.com/?a7ymkpdn944vtcs
Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:12:59 PM by Steven

blast664

VX

I think this is another step forward and I like the changes like the ones with FreeDB and MusicBrainz support. The Auto-Tagger is getting better and better with the last few builds. Awesome 8)

VX

I don't want to open another topic as I'm not sure the bahaviour I noticed with the latest build is a bug or it's intended  ???

I selected all the tracks in my testing library and then I've chosen Auto-Tag by Track/ Identify tracks and Update Tags.
The enabled update options were as follows:
- All supported field except Artwork and Lyrics;
- restrict release types: album;
- retrieve multiple genres for each track to a maximum of 3 genres.

Most files were updated successfully. However, for about 10% of the files I can see the error: "Web-service failed with error: Protocol error - please try again". I've never seen this command before so the above question arises.

BTW, Is it possible to redo the update but only for the files that have reported the above error in the status field ???
A Redo button would be appreciated for the files with "No changes", "Failed: Unable to match the name of the track" or the mentioned above error status.

Furthermore, the Auto-Tagger window should be auto-adjustable, because in order to read the whole message in the Status field log I have to hover the mouse indicator over it and there is enough free space in neighbouring "Name" field that is wasted.

Steven

• Administrator
every now and again the web-sites will fail with various internet errors so its not a bug.
however it is a good suggestion to have a retry function for the ones that fail with the error

VX

every now and again the web-sites will fail with various internet errors so its not a bug.
however it is a good suggestion to have a retry function for the ones that fail with the error

Could it be implemented before the final release  ???