Author Topic: music library - main folders organization  (Read 17734 times)

frankz

Please stop sending me private messages directing me to different threads and asking me to answer them.  I am not your personal customer service department.

phred

• Global Moderator
Please stop sending me private messages directing me to different threads and asking me to answer them.  I am not your personal customer service department.
I assume this was directed at the person who posted last.

@Foliant- if you have a question about something on a different thread, please post your question, publicly, on that thread. If someone knows the answer, they will reply.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

I assume this was directed at the person who posted last.

@Foliant- if you have a question about something on a different thread, please post your question, publicly, on that thread. If someone knows the answer, they will reply.
Yes, bad habit of not quoting a post if directly precedes my reply.  It was a rule on some board I used to visit I guess.

hiccup

Yes, bad habit of not quoting a post if directly precedes my reply.  It was a rule on some board I used to visit I guess.
After half a glance I assumed it was directed at the OP of this thread.
It's tricky discussing things like this publicly on the forum.

frankz

Yes, bad habit of not quoting a post if directly precedes my reply.  It was a rule on some board I used to visit I guess.
After half a glance I assumed it was directed at the OP of this thread.
It's tricky discussing things like this publicly on the forum.

I ignored it the first time it happened, but I woke up to another email notification today and didn't want to encourage further private interaction by engaging in the discussion privately.  I probably have less couth than I should.

phred

• Global Moderator
The best reason for discussing issues publicly is that others who are experiencing similar issues can follow the thread and possible get resolution. Private "solutions' help no one other than the person sending the PM. We're all trying to help one another here and requesting help privately is somewhat selfish.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

The best reason for discussing issues publicly is that others who are experiencing similar issues can follow the thread and possible get resolution.
I was not referring to discussing technical support issues, but to publicly discussing a beef.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Another problem is tags. I have 40,000 tracks (not all of them I need, I plan to rethink my methods of collecting music and get rid of what is not fun) but a smaller part of them with tags. This is a very long job. Even if you use MusicBee tools or other tagging services, it is very long, because there are a lot of wrong genre tags on MusicBrain, Discogos. Everything needs to be manually entered, I browse my 2 main sites, where I get information about tags.

At the end of the day, if you want MB to organize your files in the semi-complex structure you wish to maintain, then all - each and every single one - of your music files needs to be tagged according to how you wish to implement that structure. Every file from every album will need to be consistent. MusicBee does not manage files by folders. It manages files by tags, as it should. If you wish to incorporate a particularly detailed directory structure within MusicBee, you're not going to be able to do it without MONTHS of correcting your tags.

The problem is that not all tracks on an album contain the same information. I noticed that somewhere the year is not marked, somewhere the name of the album is missing. All this can be fixed if I had 100 albums, not thousands

If you're not willing to fix these thousands of albums, then you won't have your desired structure within MusicBee and should stick with whatever file manager you were using before, because all the tracks on an album must contain the same information album-level information. MusicBee is a tag manager, not a file manager, and if your tags are all over the place, then it will display your files all over the place.

I proposed this in one of your threads, but the main issue here is you're jumping the gun. You need to get all the tags in all the thousands of your albums consistent and afterwards figure out how to have MusicBee organize them. You won't be able to do it backwards like you're wanting.

MujikMusical

Another problem is tags. I have 40,000 tracks (not all of them I need, I plan to rethink my methods of collecting music and get rid of what is not fun) but a smaller part of them with tags. This is a very long job. Even if you use MusicBee tools or other tagging services, it is very long, because there are a lot of wrong genre tags on MusicBrain, Discogos. Everything needs to be manually entered, I browse my 2 main sites, where I get information about tags.

At the end of the day, if you want MB to organize your files in the semi-complex structure you wish to maintain, then all - each and every single one - of your music files needs to be tagged according to how you wish to implement that structure. Every file from every album will need to be consistent. MusicBee does not manage files by folders. It manages files by tags, as it should. If you wish to incorporate a particularly detailed directory structure within MusicBee, you're not going to be able to do it without MONTHS of correcting your tags.

The problem is that not all tracks on an album contain the same information. I noticed that somewhere the year is not marked, somewhere the name of the album is missing. All this can be fixed if I had 100 albums, not thousands

If you're not willing to fix these thousands of albums, then you won't have your desired structure within MusicBee and should stick with whatever file manager you were using before, because all the tracks on an album must contain the same information album-level information. MusicBee is a tag manager, not a file manager, and if your tags are all over the place, then it will display your files all over the place.

I proposed this in one of your threads, but the main issue here is you're jumping the gun. You need to get all the tags in all the thousands of your albums consistent and afterwards figure out how to have MusicBee organize them. You won't be able to do it backwards like you're wanting.
Very useful information, thank you. It really has an advantage when you are a member of the forum group because you will know how to handle things or situations when you encounter them in the long run.

Languageservicesco.

Hi,

I am back on my regular search for a music manager and thought I would give MusicBee a go again. I came up with the same problem I have had before of albums being split up. Searching on the forum I found this thread. My question relates to this comment made above:

"If you're not willing to fix these thousands of albums, then you won't have your desired structure within MusicBee and should stick with whatever file manager you were using before, because all the tracks on an album must contain the same information album-level information. MusicBee is a tag manager, not a file manager, and if your tags are all over the place, then it will display your files all over the place."

I am wondering what the purpose is of the grouping setting "files for each album are organized in their own folder" if it isn't to get over this issue. Would someone be able to provide some clarification of this, as I am sure it would be useful for lots of newcomers to the program? I would add that I am having albums split up that are organized in their own folders and which have identical tags. I am using the setting mentioned above.

Steven

• Administrator
yes that is the intention of the setting and should work

The Incredible Boom Boom

I am wondering what the purpose is of the grouping setting "files for each album are organized in their own folder" if it isn't to get over this issue. Would someone be able to provide some clarification of this, as I am sure it would be useful for lots of newcomers to the program? I would add that I am having albums split up that are organized in their own folders and which have identical tags. I am using the setting mentioned above.

I don't utilize that setting, so I don't have a definitive answer.
Can you provide screenshots of your tags using the Tag Inspector?