Author Topic: Update MusicBee  (Read 11399 times)

staxfusion

Hi,

I am a fairly basic MusicBee user since about a year and I am contemplating an update to a later MusicBee version. I have several basic questions:

1. How do I know which MB version I currently have? I don't see any "About.." in any drop-down menu. I thought I might get an indication by looking for the MB installation files in C:\Program\Program files folder or c:\Program Files(x86) folder, but no such thing. I finally found folder "50072StevenMayall.MusicBee_kcr266et74avj" in the C:\User\me\AppData\Local\Packages folder. I am guessing from the folder name that this is version 2.66, but why this uncommon location for the installation?

2. When I download and install the latest version, will MB retain my panel layout, library content, filter and other settings such as preferred Player? I see MB files in my Music\MusicBee folder which is separate from the MB installation folder so I hope that after new installation MB will read those files.

3. Where will the latest version be installed?

4. Does the latest version display MB version and is there a feature to "Check for updates on Start-up" or other means to update MB from within MB.

5. Should I download the latest version from Microsoft Store or from MB site? Pros, cons?

Thank you for your help

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

1) there should be a Help > About entry that tells you the version. It sounds like you have the Windows Store version, in any case

2) Because you have the WS version, it may take a little more work to preserve your settings if you install the regular or portable version. See Backup & Restore on the wiki.

3) that depends on whether you do the regular version, which is in program files, or portable, which you can put about anywhere

4) see #1 for finding the version, it's the same across all.  Your best bet for staying up to date is to follow the Latest Version thread on this forum.

5) I'd say get rid of the WS version and download one of the versions on this website. Much better for long term maintenance.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
1- Help > About gives you the version number. From the path that you're showing you have the store version. And there was never a v2.66.

2- Yes, it should if you download a 'new' store version. But there haven't been any updates to the store version in quite some time.

3- Download the portable version and install it anywhere you want -except- in a Windows UAC directory. Use something like D:\MusicBee. Or C:\MusicBee.

4- Yes and not quite. All versions have a Help > About where you can see the version number. And there is an option to check for new version (in the Installer and Portable versions) but it's only for major new releases. Steven is releasing a couple of patch updates a week at this point and you will not get notified.

5- The latest version in the Store is probably the version you currently have. Get the Portable as I stated in #3. Pros are as stated in #4. Cons are as stated in #2.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

staxfusion

OK, I have no idea what was on my mind when I tried to find the version, but there it is in plain sight under Help > About as suggested. I have version 3.3.7165 Store. Does it imply I have the Windows Store version and should replace it with the "regular" version?

Thanks again

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Whether you switch versions is up to you. That is the latest official release. If you want to start using the most recent patches you'd need to switch to a different version.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)