Author Topic: Display %setsubtitle% in place of %track% numbers- but still order by %track%?  (Read 3984 times)

johnmillsjr

I catalog my music by recording session

I want to display my Music's Matrix Numbers (which I input into set subtitle) such as 'MZ3810-A' where the track numbers are displayed.

Unfortunately when I tested inputting the matrix numbers into %track% just to see the how it would look if i was able to change it to %setsubtitle%, the length of the matrix cuts off.

Steve has been kind enough to fix the sub header cut off when using single column track span.

I want to switch %track% displayed on the left to %setsubtitle%- and increase the length span- 10 characters would about fit the longest matrix.

However I still need the tracks to be ordered by %track%.
Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:05:06 AM by johnmillsjr

smann

You can actually do this easily with custom sorting and reorganizing columns. Right-click the display fields header and go to Sort by > Define Custom Sorting... Here you can define a custom sorting order that utilizes the track number. Along the lines of: Sort Album Artist/ Sort Album/ Disc-Track# or however you want it really.

To set up how you want... Replace the Track# display field column with Set Subtitle, so that it shows in the column where your Track# is now (you can also increase the size of this column to fit properly). Then create and use a custom sort order that utilizes Track# or Disc-Track# to have it still sort by the proper track order.
Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 06:03:21 PM by smann

johnmillsjr

Here's what I have so far. Matrix is custom2 set to %setsubtitle%

I switched the Sort By setting- it still doesn't show the %setsubtitle% where the track numbers are

smann

EDIT: Read my follow-up reply first before reading this one. My bad.

Yeah, you also need to right-click on the display fields (the column headers for the main panel) and then click on "Set Display Fields...". Move your Matrix field to the selected fields and put it before Title, then uncheck Track# to remove it completely. So your columns/display fields will be setup as Matrix, Title, Time. Then do the custom sort by "Artist/ Album/ Track#". It'll show Matrix where Track# used to be, but it'll be sorted by the actual Track#, even though that column isn't technically there anymore.

As a side note, you wouldn't need the Matrix for sorting purposes in the custom sort by if you want it sorted by track number. As you have it written, "Matrix" would only affect the sorting if you had something like two track 3's with different Matrices.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough haha.

Basically setting up the displayed fields and setting up the sort order are 2 different steps to get you to the end goal. You want to set up the columns as Matrix, Title, Time; then you want to sort by Artist/ Album/ Track#.
Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:28:51 PM by smann

smann

Crap, I just remembered that you can only use a few of the display fields in the compact grid mode that you're in, based on your pic. Sorry about that, I use the detailed list mode.

If you want to do what you want, I suggest going to Preferences > Layout (1) > Scroll down to Main Panel > Click the Customise Layout button. Then change track layout from compact grid to detailed list. This will give you access to all the display fields and allow you to do what I was saying.

Again, sorry about that, I swapped to detailed list a long time ago and never looked back since it gives you way more flexibility and info haha. Although I do like the album header in compact grid mode more and the fact that there's no space between discs, but the lack of display fields kills me.
Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:59:51 PM by smann

johnmillsjr

smann

Looks like the easiest way to implement is in Album and Tracks to remove the Track# and replace with Matrix completely.

However, if you go to Preferences > Layout (1) > Scroll down to Main Panel > Click the Customise Layout button > Artwork tab on the left, then make sure "show the tracks for the selected album" is set to "directly under the selected album". Then click the "Show Settings..." button. There you can configure it to show Matrix under Title in fields displayed. It'll still show the track#, but now it'll show the Matrix right below each track title.

I would suggest clicking the button to show tracks as a single column to replicate something close to what you had before. That'll get you close and you can mess around with it from there.

johnmillsjr

Thanks a lot!

Still would very much like to display %setsubtitle% in place of track

I wonder if @Steve would be interested in implementing something for us to change the tag next to %title% but be able to move %title% slightly left if used? :D
Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:46:48 PM by johnmillsjr

johnmillsjr

Have run into an issue, Matrix doesn't display if I tag it via MP3tag and then rescan library but all other tags do

smann

I'm always a fan of implementing more display fields and such in more places if possible hahaha.

Unfortunately, I don't use MP3tag, so can't help there. I use dbpoweramp to rip and tag everything outside of MB, then use MB once it's all in the library. You should have no problem tagging within MB for that. It might be an issue with the fact that you've set this up within MB and it's being handled differently by MP3tag. Right-click on one of the tracks you've tagged with MP3tag and go to Edit. Then click on Tag Inspector at the very top to see a list of ALL of the tags for that track and see if you can see the issue there. Might be saving it as Disc Subtitle or something similar and MB isn't noticing that.

johnmillsjr

Resolved the MP3tag issue.

As regarding my OP topic, there's a lot of space between title and duration even in single column mode- so being able to replace %track% with another tag should fit in most cases.

Best case scenario would be to override the displayed tag to %setsubtitle% but in display only- this would allow the tracks to still be able to be ordered by %track%
Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 04:04:48 AM by johnmillsjr

johnmillsjr

Here's a mock-up of what I'd very much like to be able to do:

%setsubtitle% on the left, while still in single column mode, and the Tracks still ordered by %discnumber% and %track%- but %setsubtitle% displayed in place of %track%- and be able to adjust font/size etc.