Author Topic: Auto-Playlist Ignores Rules  (Read 1618 times)

PKW57

Greetings,

I'm new to MusicBee, just started using it last weekend.  So far, so good.  I think this is exactly what I've been looking for.

I'm having some difficulty getting my first playlist put together.  I have three rules to filter out the three genre I don't want include in the playlist, but they keep playing regardless.

I have it set to match any of the three rules, and they seem pretty straightforward to me.

Genre is not Holiday
Genre is not Books and Spoken Word
Genre is not Soundtrack.

I tried to attach/embed a picture of my playlist editing dialog box but they don't show up in preview. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

~ Phil

hiccup

I have it set to match any of the three rules, and they seem pretty straightforward to me.

Genre is not Holiday
Genre is not Soundtrack.

Welcome to the forum PKW57,

This rule will play all tracks that are not Holiday.
It will also play all tracks that are not Books.
And it will play all tracks that are not Soundtracks.

So it will play anything in your library, except the books that are soundtracks for the holidays  ;-)

PKW57

So you're saying that although I selected "match any of the following rules" (which I interpreted as logical or)as opposed to "match all of the following rules" (which I interpreted as logical and), my tracks must have all three of those genre listed in order to be ignored?

I'm sorry but that makes absolutely no sense to me.  

Regardless, I'm the newbie here so; Is there an easy way to edit the tags of all tracks on the same album or do I have to do them one at a time.  Sorry, I've only been using MusicBee for 4 days and haven't explored any of the tag functions yet.

Thanks,

~ Phil

hiccup

I am not sure I understand you 100%, but you present three rules here.
Isn't it so that you want all these three rules respected?

If you say any, it will look at a track, see if any of the three rules matches, and then it will be added to the playlist.
So if a soundtrack is only tagged as soundtrack, it will obey the rule that it is not a book.
So it will be added to the playlist.

phred

• Global Moderator
This is a case where a screenshot would be very helpful. When you reply to a post read the NOTE below the subject and message icon.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Genre is not Holiday
Genre is not Soundtrack.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

If you have now changed Match to All, you should get the results you want... :)
(your using inverse logic if you chose is not)..
Freddy
Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:14:31 PM by Freddy Barker

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Am I missing something? Seems like you can just use one rule, "is not any of" and list the values you want it to avoid. Then it will filter out all of them and it doesn't matter if you chose "all" or "any" (unless there are other rules not related to this one).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Am I missing something? Seems like you can just use one rule, "is not any of" and list the values you want it to avoid. Then it will filter out all of them and it doesn't matter if you chose "all" or "any" (unless there are other rules not related to this one).

Can be done with one line...
Genre is not 'Holiday', Genre is not 'Books and Spoken Word', Genre is not 'Soundtrack'
Was easier to change Any to All, but we've not seen if any other criteria involved yet, to may need to use the sub-rules dropdown box..
Freddy  ;)
Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:26:16 PM by Freddy Barker

hiccup

Am I missing something?

I don't think so. But the OP only raised doubt about the 'any' switch not functioning as it should.

So I replied to that, hoping it would clarify that.
If there had been a question like "how can I make it so that...", my answer probably would have been different ;-)

PKW57

Wow!  Thank you all for the many responses and suggestions.

I tried what to me seemed the simplest solution and changed my criteria to a single rule using the "is not any" function.

I am traveling today though and may not get a chance to test it until tomorrow.  If that doesn't do it I'll try the other suggestions.  In any event I will respond with my results.

Again, thanks for all the help.  I'm actually rather impressed.  In my experience the forums for freeware have not been very active or helpful (FreeCAD is an excellent example).  I'm glad to know there is an active community for MusicBee.

~ Phil

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm actually rather impressed.  In my experience the forums for freeware have not been very active or helpful (FreeCAD is an excellent example).  I'm glad to know there is an active community for MusicBee.
We sort of take pride in the fact that we're friendly and helpful. In all the years I've been here, there have only been a couple of discussions that started to get out of hand. We quickly put a stop to it but speaking with the individuals offline. They either disappeared or saw the error of their ways and behaved.

The only 'rule' we have is to be civil to one another. And that once you become familiar enough with the use of MB, offer up some answers if you know them. We were all new users at one point.

Welcome and enjoy.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

PKW57

OK.  Sorry for the delay.  Real life can be a pain sometimes.

So I changed my rule to the suggested "is not any of" and now it works like it should.  I guess I got a little turned around on the logic and was actually trying to use a double negative.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.  It's much appreciated.
~ Phil

phred

• Global Moderator
Glad you got it worked out.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki