Author Topic: Windows 10 Context Menu Items Missing Need Assistance  (Read 2926 times)

bluenature

I would have replied to the post from April 2019 but I saw a notice in red letters stating the post was 120 or over 120 days old and didn't want to cause a problem. I have been trying to get the right click audio file add to items to show up for 2 days. I have ran MusicBee as admin and clicked m4a, mp3 and hit save then closed MusicBee. The right click context functions were not there so I then manually set the defaults for those filetypes to MusicBee after setting it up in MusicBee but still the context items did not appear. The filetyes in explorer have MusicBee icon confirming they're set to MusicBee. I do see Windows Media Player context items. I have even followed the directions posted https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14458.msg86840#msg86840

I did the above twice with no luck
I did disable Windows Media Player the other day before my format today and it was gone from the right click but still MusicBee would not appear in the context right click. I'm at a loss on what to do.

I am running latest Windows 10 pro on a fresh format. I even tried installing 3.2 MusicBee to see if it would somehow work but no luck.

Update: I do get the context items when right clicking a folder with audio files in it but not mp3 m4a files individually.

Update 2: I removed groove player, disabled Windows Media Player and I uninstalled MusicBee with RevoUninstaller with advanced scan for left over files. I reinstalled MusicBee as admin and ran as admin, then in a music folder I right clicked mp3, and m4a and set to open always with MusicBee then set the defaults manually by filetype and enabled context option in MusicBee. I don't know which did what but for m4a single file I can now see context items for it but not for mp3. So I've made some progress trying to recreate what I did for mp3.

Update 3: Ok I got very intricate, I Revo Uninstalled MusicBee with all traces including registry entries, then I installed MusicBee then ran as admin. I then checked the add to context box then checked m4a and hit apply while still in that setting window and checked an m4a file and boom right click for individual file worked. Then I did the same for mp3 without success. I unchecked m4a and then checked mp3 and hit apply then mp3 right click context worked. Strange I know then I checked m4a again and hit apply now they both work.

This post can be trashed or archived I'm not sure if anyone else will run into this specific issue but who knows.
Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 12:04:50 AM by bluenature

Steven

• Administrator
windows 10 changed the way file associations work and it needs to be done manually via windows control panel - google it if you are unsure how to do that

SamLowry

Anybody have any updates for this? Just installed MB on a new install of Win10 and have no context menu. Tried most of the fixes above without success. Just installed the latest MB without any improvement for this feature. I miss it.

phred

• Global Moderator
Anybody have any updates for this? Just installed MB on a new install of Win10 and have no context menu. Tried most of the fixes above without success. Just installed the latest MB without any improvement for this feature. I miss it.
As Steven said, it has nothing to do with MB. And Steven can't make any improvement to it. You need to Google for it as Steven has stated.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

orion2019

As Steven said, it has nothing to do with MB. And Steven can't make any improvement to it. You need to Google for it as Steven has stated.

Wrong, and even more wrong!

The fixes that Steven suggested do not work, either anymore nor on Win 10 PRO and now worse after Tuesday's 1909 update.

First, the issue or topic is abooot MB Context Menu items not showing in the Windows Explorer menu principally, not how to set the file types/defaults.

Secondly, on my 3 Windows PRO machines, using MB's Edit Preference > file types no longer works. It is hard to point the finger at Microsoft solely here, since they didn't create the feature.

Third, even after I had to jump through many hoops, I was marginally successful in getting the Context menu to populate and ONLY on the Portable version, after Tuesday's Windows 10 1909 update the MB context menu not only disappeared, but I cannot get it back and even with my previous 9 step method....
Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:44:36 PM by orion2019

Steven

• Administrator
there was a bug in an earlier MB version where all the registry entries were not written. You can get the latest version from the first forum topic where that is fixed. You must run MB as an admin at least once

orion2019

:)

I just updated to 3.3.7259 P

Then ran it as Admin, reset: "Edit Preferences > File Type". MB Context items still not showing in Windows Explorer dropdown.

Next, I closed MB, then in Windows Explorer, I again "Open with > Choose another file" and pointed a MP3 file to the MusicBee.exe in my Portable folder. MusicBee opened the file. Now I checked Windows Explorer dropdown and success.

hstracker90

Thanks a lot to bluenature!

What worked for me: Uninstall MusicBee with RevoUnInstaller. Install MusicBee. Run as admin and select the right-click options. Click "Apply". Right-click a mp3-file in Windows Explorer, choose always-open-with, and voila, the context-menu entries are back. Did the same with m4a-file. I personally don't have .wav or .flac or other formats, so I am satisfied.