Author Topic: Renaming, organizing, tagging and capitalization enhancements  (Read 8713 times)

VX

The new development build (MB 1.2.4089) integrates Renaming functions with the Editor.

As for now the existing Capitalization utility (Accessible via Tools / Tagging Tools / Utilities ) works for tags only and has limited functionality: the first letter for a word in every tag field is capitalized. Some enhancements have already been requested by TurboMad:
I think this should be more than just capitalizing the first letter etc. It should check and change the case as determined by common practice, e.g. The House Of The Rising Sun, should (perhaps) be The House of the Rising Sun. I'm sure there is an agreed convention for this

Speaking of improving current solution for tags and extending the functionality for renaming and organizing files I'd like to see the following Capitalization options:

- capitalize whole words (FAMOUS ARTIST - ALBUM - TITLE OF THE SONG)  - very useful for accessibility reasons btw;

- capitalize first letter of the tag/ name (Famous artist - Album - Title of the song);

- change case (upper case/ lower case).

Furthermore, the options for:

- change "_" and "%" into spaces;

- remove diacritic marks;

- change Cyrillic into Latin;

- trim filenames for max length

would be useful too, especially if you want to listen to your music collection with a device that doesn't handle diacritic marks or long filenames properly.
Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:19:24 PM by VX

VX

As an addition to above suggestion, I'd change the way Tools menu is organized:

1. Create a separate: Capitalize entry betweenTagging Tools and Organise Files

That would allow to use capitalization both for tagging and file renaming.
The entry should have the following submenus:
- CAPITALIZE ALL;
-Title Case;
-Sentence Case;
- lower case all;
- CHANGE case.

2. 'Capitalize' entry should be removed form Tagging Tools/Utilities;

3. The 'Utilities' entry in Taggin Tools menu (that is hard to find for some users btw) should be replaced with the Swap Tag Fields entry with the following submenus:
- Swap Artist with Title (as it is);
- Swap Artist with Album;
- Swap Artist with Track No.;
- Swap Artist with Album Artist (it's usually the same - so shouldn't Auto-Tagger update both fields by default ???)
- Swap Artist with Composer;
- Swap Album with Title,
- Swap Title with Track No.

4. The 'Capitalize' and 'Swap Tag Fields' should also be accessible from the right-click menu in the Editor.

Thank you for considering whether the improvements would be useful and expected. Any constructive comments are welcome :)

Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:32:36 PM by VX

jtoz

+1 on this.  Particularly #1 and #3.  I can usually perform any capitalization in Mp3Tag, but would be nice not to have to open another editor to do this.  I forget that this feature is even in the Utilities menu, so would be good to have it more visible within the context of a tag-editing menu (i.e. suggestion #2).  #3 would be very useful indeed (and quite a unique feature...for me anyway, haven't run across it before).
Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:22:47 AM by jtoz

boroda

Maybe just 1 'swap tags...' entry? In opened dialog one can select 2 tags that must be swapped.

VX

Maybe just 1 'swap tags...' entry? In opened dialog one can select 2 tags that must be swapped.

That is even better than what I've suggested  :) Users usually swap Artist with Title (which is already implemented), but IMHO swap Artist with Composer or swap Artist with Album Artist would be very useful too. Anyway I think the current solution could be improved.

munkee

+1 on this. I would especially like to see the capitalization function improved so that there was an option to capitalize all words except for words like "and, but, or, a, an, the, etc." unless they are the first or last word in the title.

Blinghound

+1 I can see this really being useful to a lot of people.

I agree that there needs to be an option to capitalize all words except for "the, but, and, etc'. Maybe this could be manually edited? Words like 'DJ' would become 'Dj', which can be quite annoying.

cartman005

Words like 'DJ' would become 'Dj', which can be quite annoying.

Good point, the feature may be more complicated than I thought.