Author Topic: Better Subtitle Implementation  (Read 4174 times)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
This begs the question:
Have you considered giving access to a 3.4 beta?
It could be in everybody's interest to take it for a test drive?
(it would need to be a portable version)

If you are apprehensive about making a beta version public, perhaps construct some obstacle to acquire it?
Maybe something like 'by invitation only', or some captcha that identifies you as not being a complete idiot?

+1
Splendid idea.
The 3.4 try-out zip could be in a "secret" location, accesble via link in a PM, available only to...whoever volunteers and/or by invitation only?
 Does that all sound a bit cloak and dagger?

Steven

• Administrator
In the early stages i do a lot of experimentation so there can be long periods where no update/fixes are available.
So I suggest you create a new v3.3 portable install and overwrite with this:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/rkx9mn38mybdpaa/MusicBee.zip/file

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
In the early stages i do a lot of experimentation so there can be long periods where no update/fixes are available.

Awesome, I'll run this on a separate PC, thanks
Freddy

sveakul

@Steven:  thanks for providing a link to the 3.4 alpha!  My questions are, 1) would you welcome active forum feedback at this time on 3.4 as far as bugs/questions, and if so, 2) where and under what thread would it be most appropriate to do that, so as to not confuse newcomers?

smann

I have implemented read support for chapter tags in v3.4 for the following formats:
- mp4 (already supported)
- mp3 (as per usual the id3 specs are complicated for something that should be simple and i have only implemented flat chapter structure with no heirarchy)
- ogg, opus, flac as per Vorbis specs

Note this piggy backs on the existing chapter support for mp4 files, and is very basic, only showing the chapter title in the progress bar. Also this implementation doesnt support creating or editing chapters your self.

@smann, I am not sure this is actually what you asked for as chapters apply to sections within one file

This is a great start. I'll take read support over no support haha... I can find an external program for now to include the chapters in files that need it.

I think the difficult part is that everyone breaks down albums or pieces into a single track only, but they can also be broken down into further sub-tracks with their own times, genres, artists for that portion, etc, and that's difficult to easily show in a music player.

I have a lot of albums that throw a hidden track at the end of the last song. For example, on Korn's "Take a Look in the Mirror" album there's a song called "When Will This End". Technically it also contains a hidden live track of a cover of Metallica's "One". So I have the track title as "When Will This End" since that's what it is officially called overall and then the Subtitle tag as "1. When Will This End; 2. One (Metallica cover) (Live)" with the genre listed as "Nu Metal; Live" for that track. Chapter implementation for FLAC and MP3 will accomplish this, I'll just change from Subtitle over to those tags.

Showing the chapter only in the title bar mimics what I'm currently doing by having the progress bar display "$IsNull(<Subtitle>,<Title>,<Title>"  ◦  "<Subtitle>)" on the first line and the Album Artist on the second line. While it doesn't show the breakdown into chapters/sub-songs/subtitles in the main panel like I showed in the initial post, the implementation of a change that benefits this is very much appreciated!

Maybe I could use a highlighting rule or so to distinguish these split tracks for now.

smann

Just to make sure, I install the portable version of 3.3 on a new computer and then overwrite the MusicBee destination folder with the downloaded contents for the alpha version "trial"?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Just to make sure, I install the portable version of 3.3 on a new computer and then overwrite the MusicBee destination folder with the downloaded contents for the alpha version "trial"?

If it's easier, you can install the portable version on your current computer without disturbing your existing installation. Just put it in a separate folder.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)