Author Topic: Using nothing between disc# and track# in <disc-track#>?  (Read 3316 times)

Johan_A_M

Hi!

I'm not sure this is a bug or me misunderstanding/mis-using something, but I repeatedly erase the "-" in <disc-track#> to achieve 000 instead of 0-00, but after a while it's back. I changed it to the middle dot yesterday and so far that one is still there. I know one can use Advanced Tagging Tools to remove the dash, but I'd rather use the "in-house" function.

Best
J
Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:46:30 PM by Johan_A_M

phred

• Global Moderator
Probably not a bug, but a 'reaction' to you manually editing and the configured tag over-riding your edit.

Try this:
Edit > Preferences > Tags (2) > tag handling > fields > configure fields > formatting > dis-trac# format

Remove the dash in the middle and save.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Johan_A_M

Probably not a bug, but a 'reaction' to you manually editing and the configured tag over-riding your edit.

Try this:
Edit > Preferences > Tags (2) > tag handling > fields > configure fields > formatting > dis-trac# format

Sorry, once again I'm a bit too vague for my own best. That is exactly where I'm changing it, and that's where the dash comes back.

phred

• Global Moderator
Sorry, once again I'm a bit too vague for my own best.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you've really got to start putting more details into your posts. You've done this more than once and you're wasting the time of people who try to help you. Only to find out you've already tried what was suggested, but failed to mention it. I suggest the next time you have an issue, list the steps you're taking, one-by-one, before you post. Vague is not helpful.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I repeatedly erase the "-" in <disc-track#> to achieve 000 instead of 0-00, but after a while it's back.

If there was no delimiter at all, how would you know if 111 means disk 1 track 11 or disk 11 track 1?

So besides this not being a bug, why would you want to do this in the first place?

Johan_A_M

Sorry, once again I'm a bit too vague for my own best.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you've really got to start putting more details into your posts. You've done this more than once and you're wasting the time of people who try to help you. Only to find out you've already tried what was suggested, but failed to mention it. I suggest the next time you have an issue, list the steps you're taking, one-by-one, before you post. Vague is not helpful.

Point taken, and you're absolutely right, I'm sorry!

Johan_A_M

I repeatedly erase the "-" in <disc-track#> to achieve 000 instead of 0-00, but after a while it's back.

If there was no delimiter at all, how would you know if 111 means disk 1 track 11 or disk 11 track 1?

So besides this not being a bug, why would you want to do this in the first place?

Simply for aesthetic reasons.
I've read a lot of your fantastic classical music tagging tips and I presume you come from the world of massive releases with multiple discs. I however have none of those, only 2-3 maximum. At least not yet, and I can see how this would pose a problem in those cases.
Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:47:20 PM by Johan_A_M

hiccup

I've read a lot of your fantastic classical tagging tips and I presume you come from the world of massive releases with multiple discs.

Thanks, nice to hear that reports of my own struggles are sometimes interesting or useful to others.

For myself, I am trying to abandon the concept of disc numbers completely.
Not only for classical, but also for non-classical releases.
Well, I may store it somewhere, but I try to avoid using it anywhere in MusicBee.
It was a concept mainly relevant in the cd era, and in my opinion contains no valuable or timeless information.

(@mods, perhaps move this thread to Questions?)

phred

• Global Moderator
In that case why even use the disc # tag? There's no rule that says you have to use it.

When I have an album that only has one disc, I don't use the tag. It's only used if the album/collection has two or more discs.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P

Try this:

Sorry, once again I'm a bit too vague for my own best. That is exactly where I'm changing it, and that's where the dash comes back.

Try using the Zero-Width space character (U+200B)
Code
​​​​​
to replace the dash.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Johan_A_M

I've read a lot of your fantastic classical tagging tips and I presume you come from the world of massive releases with multiple discs.

Thanks, nice to hear that reports of my own struggles are sometimes interesting or useful to others.

For myself, I am trying to abandon the concept of disc numbers completely.
Not only for classical, but also for non-classical releases.
Well, I may store it somewhere, but I try to avoid using it anywhere in MusicBee.
It was a concept mainly relevant in the cd era, and in my opinion contains no valuable or timeless information.

(@mods, perhaps move this thread to Questions?)

It has been some amazing reads, both here and with regards to the Classical Extras plugin for Picard!

I agree with the whole disc mentality; I prefer to have all tracks from the release in the same folder instead of the CD1, CD2 etc folders, with the exception of discs with sub-headers. It would be interesting/fun to hear how your naming system with regards to discs have changed.

Nevertheless, I'm still curious about why the Edit>Preferences>Tags (2)>tag handling>fields>configure fields>formatting>disc-track# reverted back to the dash after me deleting it. It has happened numerous times, almost like there was an old backup kicking in, but I don't use any auto-backup of the settings.

hiccup

In that case why even use the disc # tag? There's no rule that says you have to use it.

I am guessing that question is addressed to me?
If so, the answer is: I don't use it.

I only store it out of some insecurity, and because for MusicBrainz' cd releases it is an essential concept.

Johan_A_M

hiccup

It would be interesting/fun to hear how your naming system with regards to discs have changed.

If there are 'artistic' reasons why there are references to disc numbers, I will use them.

E.g. for a James brown box-set, I have:

Disc 1: Mr. Dynamite
Disc 2: The Hardest Working Man in Show Business
Disc 3: Soul Brother No. 1
Disc 4: The Godfather of Soul

But if the only reason for disc numbers is the limitation of 74 mins of playing time of a cd, s***w it.

E.g. there are 'deluxe' re-releases that may have two disks.
disc 1 has the 8 songs from the original album, plus 3 bonus tracks.
disc 2 has 10 bonus tracks.

Using, and depending on disc numbers here would only confuse me, so I will use set-subtitles instead, defining and separating the original tracks from the added re-release tracks.

This does conflict with the strict librarian in me, but I like to let the pragmatic music-lover win once in a while.

phred

• Global Moderator

I am guessing that question is addressed to me?
If so, the answer is: I don't use it.
No, it is directed to the OP. Just trying to make sure he knows there's no obligation to use the disc # is he doesn't like it.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki