Author Topic: Using nothing between disc# and track# in <disc-track#>?  (Read 2274 times)

hiccup

Try using the Zero-Width space character (U+200B)  to replace the dash.

Great advice, I'll try that!

It's a clever hack indeed.
But clever hacks usually pose problems for me at a later moment in time...

Johan_A_M

If there are 'artistic' reasons why there are references to disc numbers, I will use them.

E.g. for a James brown box-set, I have:

Disc 1: Mr. Dynamite
Disc 2: The Hardest Working Man in Show Business
Disc 3: Soul Brother No. 1
Disc 4: The Godfather of Soul

But if the only reason for disc numbers is the limitation of 74 mins of playing time of a cd, s***w it.

E.g. there are 'deluxe' re-releases that may have two disks.
disc 1 has the 8 songs from the original album, plus 3 bonus tracks.
disc 2 has 10 bonus tracks.

Using, and depending on disc numbers here would only confuse me, so I will use set-subtitles instead, defining and separating the original tracks from the added re-release tracks.

This does conflict with the strict librarian in me, but I like to let the pragmatic music-lover win once in a while.

Nice to hear! I agree with the artistic reasons, that's how I do it too, with 4 custom tags being used as 4 levels of folders/subfolders to be able to be really specific. Might be better ways of doing it, but this works fine with me.

Yep, that's another conflict that will never be solved with everyone happy :)

Johan_A_M

No, it is directed to the OP. Just trying to make sure he knows there's no obligation to use the disc # is he doesn't like it.

Thanks! I'm using a function in the template so that the disc# is only added if >1.

hiccup

that's how I do it too, with 4 custom tags being used as 4 levels of folders/subfolders to be able to be really specific. Might be better ways of doing it, but this works fine with me.

Could you elaborate on these 4 levels?

(Even after many years of using digital music managers, I still find myself altering my ways once in a while.)

hiccup

No, it is directed to the OP. Just trying to make sure he knows there's no obligation to use the disc # is he doesn't like it.

Thanks! I'm using a function in the template so that the disc# is only added if >1.

Sorry to keep bugging you with this, but wouldn't this mean that if you see disc/track# 21 somewhere, you wouldn't know if this was track 21 from a 1-cd release, or track 1 from a 2-cd release?

Johan_A_M

that's how I do it too, with 4 custom tags being used as 4 levels of folders/subfolders to be able to be really specific. Might be better ways of doing it, but this works fine with me.

Could you elaborate on these 4 levels?

(Even after many years of using digital music managers, I still find myself altering my ways once in a while.)

Absolutely! The reason/need for this became obvious when I was tagging some general lounge music from a label called Hed Kandi, who have multiple different series and sub-series of releases. I don't like it when there are myriads of folders in a long row, but rather prefer sub-folders. Of course, in your case, you're probably used to this too. So I decided to base my template system on <custom1> being named "Type of album". One of the possible values I use in it would be "multi series", and if I use that value, I've named 2, 3, and 4 to something like Album level 1, 2, or 3 (all translated, not native English here). Then with this template:

Code
·<Genre>·\·<albumserie>$IsNull(<albumserie level 2>,,·\·<albumserie level 2>)$IsNull(<albumserie level 3>,,·\·<albumserie level 3>)·\<Disc-Track#> ·· <Artist> • <Title>

which works out great since it will also work if I don't have all levels.
Credit where credit are due, I got a lot of help from @bee-liever!

Johan_A_M

Sorry to keep bugging you with this, but wouldn't this mean that if you see disc/track# 21 somewhere, you wouldn't know if this was track 21 from a 1-cd release, or track 1 from a 2-cd release?

No worries! I use padded numbers on tracks so that would be either 21 or 201 in your examples.

Zak

With regard to OPs apparent desire to not have separate disc numbers, I used to do this by only using track numbers.
So disc 2, track 1, would have a track number of 201.
That way it doesn't matter how MusicBee formats it.
It eventually annoyed me for some reason I can't remember, so I'm using disc numbers now though. I think it was so I can use the disc number/name as sub-grouping headers.

For myself, I am trying to abandon the concept of disc numbers completely.
Not only for classical, but also for non-classical releases.
Well, I may store it somewhere, but I try to avoid using it anywhere in MusicBee.
It was a concept mainly relevant in the cd era, and in my opinion contains no valuable or timeless information.
That seems odd. Without using a disc number at all, how do you separate tracks that are from multi-disc albums? i.e. How do you keep disc 1, track 1 separate from disc 2, track 2?
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

That seems odd. Without using a disc number at all, how do you separate tracks that are from multi-disc albums? i.e. How do you keep disc 1, track 1 separate from disc 2, track 2?

If I consider a multi-cd release to be one work, I continue the numbering all over the release.
That makes sense to most cases in my opinion.

Let's take an older original release containing 16 tracks that was first released on 4 LP's, then on 2 CD's, and later on as 1 digital release.
I see no good reason to use the numbering that was dictated by the CD release.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Let's take an older original release containing 16 tracks that was first released on 4 LP's, then on 2 CD's, and later on as 1 digital release.
I see no good reason to use the numbering that was dictated by the CD release.

Agreed!
Once you've gone digital, then CD numbering and LP collections have little meaning, so for example, (in my little world, and for simplicity), a 5 CD set may as well all be Disk 1 of 1 and tracks renumbered  01 to 49..
Freddy
Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:53:32 AM by Freddy Barker