Author Topic: Questions about equalization/upgrades  (Read 2843 times)

RahmanAron

I recently took my first steps into high-end audio equipment. I'm currently running digital out from my MacBook Pro to my Onkyo A-9010 amp and its built-in DAC. For headphones I've been using Audio Technica ATH-M50X's and for speakers I've been running Polk Audio S15's. My sources are Spotify Premium and Tidal HiFi, depending on the music. Both sound good, although I'm not seriously impressed by either.

My first question is, what can I do to improve sound quality if anything? Would equalization help? Lastly, I've been eyeing the Sennheiser HD600's as an upgrade to my Audio Technicas - would I notice any significant difference with these than what I'm currently running?

Thanks!

sveakul

My first question is, what can I do to improve sound quality if anything? Would equalization help? Lastly, I've been eyeing the Sennheiser HD600's as an upgrade to my Audio Technicas - would I notice any significant difference with these than what I'm currently running?

Avoid the Windows mixer by using either Wasapi-Exclusive or Asio, although the latter seems to be a PITA for a lot of people to set up.  Just be sure you then disable any MB built-in sound effects like fading, and don't do resampling.

As far as EQ, the minute you activate that you've started to "color" the sound and have lost the original "intended" sound of the file.  That said, I do use EQ and even a compressor/limiter VST (yikes!) to give an effect my poor ears prefer, and in the latter case compensate for clipping in radio streams.  So if coloring the sound is OK with you, MusicBee has an excellent 15-band EQ for you to play with.  Otherwise, keep it de-activated.

As far as the gear, those questions are best asked in the "Beyond MusicBee" forum.

hiccup

Welcome to the forum RahmanAron.

Your post doesn't contain a question specific to MusicBee.
So it is better suited for the 'Beyond MusicBee board, and it will probably be moved there by a mod.
For advice on speakers and headphones, there are fora on the internet that are much better suited to answer your questions, or already have the answers if you search them.

But to address your equaliser question:

Hard-line audiophiles will say you should never use an equaliser because it will change the sound of how it was intended by the artist/engineer, it will introduce different sorts of distortion, it would only be needed to compensate for inferior equipment, and that it will work like a drug. (you will get used to it's non-realistic enhancements of the sound)
There probably is some truth in all of that.

A music/audio lover with both his feet on the ground would 'allow' and use it for listening at low volume levels, to compensate for recordings that just don't sound good on your audio system, or for compensating some problems that your listening room may pose with regards to resonance, dampening or enhancing frequencies.

But as a start, on your quest for headphones and speakers, begin with setting up MusicBee for bit perfect playback without using any effects or equalisation.
Get accustomed and appreciate a clean sound that may sound a bit thin and analytic at first.
You can always add some warmth or dynamics later when so desired.
But you can never get equipment that has some warmth or character by design to sound clean and transparent.

(edit just before posting, I see sveakul beat me to it, but I think our replies strengthen and confirm our ideas about the matter)

hiccup

Damn, I too was suckered.

The OP here is also a copy/paste reddit spambot.

(with some commercial link signature)

phred

• Global Moderator
This thread is locked until the OP sends a PM to the moderators requesting that it be unlocked.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here