Author Topic: Best Naming Convetion for music files/tracks  (Read 211 times)

decard

my file name format is 'track artist - track name [album name] [additional info] [track/album year]

i have laboriously changes Title field name to just 'Track Name [optional track info eg Live]

ie i stripped the initial Artist Name out, and generally the SAlbum Name

but now i am now re-considering., and wondering whether i should add Track Artist Name BACK at start of Track Title

what does the Forum think/use?

NOTE: all my music is in a single integrated track-based Folder

tangotonyb

It all depends on how you use your music.

Personally, my file-based arrangement of my files is completely separate from Artist/Album considerations, so the only factor I need to consider for naming files is that they're unique - i.e. need to differentiate between Radio cut, live, acoustic versions etc

In the tags - Title contains the Title and any differentiation info - the cut, mix etc. Artists go in the Artists tag - I see no need to duplicate in the Title.

Remember that MusicBee has virtual tags - as long as info is recorded ONCE somewhere, it can be processed and combined with other tags in a visual column. If you want to display/work with a field that includes BOTH artist and title, you can simply create a virtual tag that combines the two.

Zak

• Global Moderator
What are you trying to achieve and are you talking about the file name on your computer, or the value in the Title tag?

If the former, you can basically call your files whatever you want if it makes sense to you.
If the latter, what good reason is there for not using the separate Album, Artist and Title tags as intended?
Yes, it will kind of work, but not nearly as well as it could (or should), in MusicBee or any other program.

Assuming your music collection is a growing thing, also consider if what you set up now will also make sense in 5, 10 or 20years time, with 5, 10 or 20 times as many tracks.
Otherwise, you may be creating a scenario where the work you do now will have be done again at a later time.
Bee excellent to each other...