Author Topic: Japanese characters show up as empty boxes  (Read 2362 times)

mysterioustrumpet

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
I just opened Musicbee today and characters were like this:



I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and I'm using the latest version. Usually the Japanese characters show up fine, but now they're not. What's going on?

sveakul

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1892
First do a file rescan:  Tools-->Advanced-->Rescan All Files.

If the problem remains, right-click one of the affected files, choose Edit, and tell us what the tags look like (a screenshot would be best).

mysterioustrumpet

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Yep, tried all of those. Here's what the tag looks like, it didn't use to be like this.


frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3151
Does your default font (Edit->Edit Preferences->Layout(1)) include this character set?

Did another program like Windows Media Player scan your files and adjust your tags?
A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose.

jdkoren

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Hello, I am facing the same issue as mysterioustrumpet.

I played the file in another media player and verified that the tags are correct (showing Japanese characters), so it seems they just don't render in MusicBee. Was there any solution found?

Thanks


Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 32748
Another thing is for ID3 files, when v2.3 tags are stored and they are set to ISO encoding then MB uses the windows default code page for non-ascii chars. Other players might be using a different windows codepage. Its best to use v2.4 tags with UTF encoding or staying with v2.3 MB would use Unicode encoding so they always display correctly

jdkoren

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Have you checked what frankz mentioned?
I can't seem to find any fonts with CJK support listed when I use the font selection dialog inside of MuiscBee. It may have to do with the fact that I'm using Wine on Ubuntu and not actual Windows. I've already searched for solutions regarding CJK fonts in Wine, so far nothing has produced any positive results.

As mentioned in my previous post, the tag content is not mangled. Other programs (and command line tools) show the CJK characters without issue.

Another thing is for ID3 files, when v2.3 tags are stored and they are set to ISO encoding then MB uses the windows default code page for non-ascii chars. Other players might be using a different windows codepage. Its best to use v2.4 tags with UTF encoding or staying with v2.3 MB would use Unicode encoding so they always display correctly
Out of curiosity, what about FLAC files with Vorbis tag format?

merulox

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
having the same issue here
I'm also running musicbee on linux however

merulox

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Hey, I found the Tahoma font to work properly, however, as you'll see, larger text uses another font that doesn't seem to be customizable, not to mention that the Japanese characters don't blend in well in that font. Not ideal, but that might help us find out how to fix it.

(Running MusicBee through wine on linux)

merulox

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Ah, it turns out the Tahoma font doesn't support Japanese characters for larger text/headers?
switched to Yu Gothic and now it feels like I'm back on windows, finally

Comexs

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Quote
Ah, it turns out the Tahoma font doesn't support Japanese characters for larger text/headers?
switched to Yu Gothic and now it feels like I'm back on windows, finally

I tried to switch to Yu Gothic but every time I switch to it a get a error
Code
The selected font is not a valid font for MusicBee (the selected font needs to be a TrueType font)

karbock

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 29
Quote
I tried to switch to Yu Gothic but every time I switch to it a get a error
Code
The selected font is not a valid font for MusicBee (the selected font needs to be a TrueType font)

Have you tried refreshing the font cache (Linux)?
Code
sudo fc-cache -f -v

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7609
Have you tried refreshing the font cache (Linux)?
Code
sudo fc-cache -f -v
The user hasn't said anything about using Linux. Perhaps you should tell the user how to delete the font cache in Windows.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.4 patch from here.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 beta patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
Check out the MusicBee Wiki.
How to post screenshots is here

karbock

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 29
Quote
The user hasn't said anything about using Linux. Perhaps you should tell the user how to delete the font cache in Windows.

Thanks phred for pointing this out, I was probably misled because I remember having the same message on Linux only, where rebuilding the font cache solved the case.

A batch file for that purpose under Windows 10 is provided here (see "Method 2", run batch and reboot):
https://techcult.com/rebuild-font-cache-in-windows-10/
I have just tested it on my machine and switched MB to font Yu Gothic: no error message issued, and the only title in Japanese from my collection is displayed correctly.

But the display was already flawless on Windows before (Japanese + Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek).

Note: MB works as a charm with .otf and .ttf fonts on both Windows and Linux (my distro: Linux Mint 18.3 x32 with wine installed).
Last Edit: Today at 09:11:06 AM by karbock