Author Topic: [solved] Can I use auto-organize in the same way as in Mediamonkey?  (Read 2580 times)

Johan_A_M

Hi!

I recently bought MM Gold while trying to finally organise and fine-tune my FLAC-files, about 65k. I am not very good at regexp functions but can still get around basic rules, and am starting to both learn and like the auto-organise function, which I use this together with Categories to create rules. I use my own genres, maybe 10, but in addition to this, I really want to both sort and name (filenames that is) the songs completely different depending on genre and subtype. For example in classical music, I have subdirectories with publisher-based collections (like Decca Ultimate), subdirectories with conductor-based collections (like Herbert von Karajan) but also purely composer-based directories as well as directories with more general compilations. When it comes to heavy metal, I basically sort artists per artist (album artist) but with subdirectories on live- and greatest hits albums. Club music (techno etc) are sorted differently once again, with some folders being based on labels, some on what DJ mixed an album, some on series, and some only on single songs with all remix versions I the same folder. All of this has made me create numerous categories and numerous auto-organize rules which works well. However, after seeing Musicbee, I completely fell for the UI and some other stuff, and I would love to make the switch. Not having really started using it yet, I'm wondering if Musicbee has the same functionality, in that once an album/file is tagged with the correct tags (like my personal genre and some custom tags), it will automatically be moved and renamed? What I basically do is have a folder with unsorted folders/files, albeit in album folders. I then tag everything correctly apart from my genre. When I know that I have everything correct, I change genre to my own, and then it will automatically be recognised by MM and moved and renamed.
Very best
J
Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:32:16 PM by Johan_A_M

Steven

• Administrator
Enable auto-organise in the library preferences and the following 3 regex functions are available for use the naming template:
$RxSplit(<field>,regex-pattern,index)
$IsMatch(<field>,regex-pattern)
$RxReplace(<field>,regex-pattern,replace-text)

Johan_A_M

Enable auto-organise in the library preferences and the following 3 regex functions are available for use the naming template:
$RxSplit(<field>,regex-pattern,index)
$IsMatch(<field>,regex-pattern)
$RxReplace(<field>,regex-pattern,replace-text)

Thanks @Steven! Sorry for being a bit slow, but does this mean that once I use Auto, I would basically have to create one really long string of functions covering all needs and not one string/preset per type of sorting? And in that case would perhaps filters be the best way of pre-definig my different groups?
Thanks again for getting back to me!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
does this mean that once I use Auto, I would basically have to create one really long string of functions covering all needs and not one string/preset per type of sorting?

There are a few ways to simplify a long, complex organization template. One is to use the "exceptions" settings to provide templates that only apply to certain types of files. Another is to use virtual tags for pre-processing parts of the file name, which is mainly what I do.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Johan_A_M

does this mean that once I use Auto, I would basically have to create one really long string of functions covering all needs and not one string/preset per type of sorting?

There are a few ways to simplify a long, complex organization template. One is to use the "exceptions" settings to provide templates that only apply to certain types of files. Another is to use virtual tags for pre-processing parts of the file name, which is mainly what I do.

Ah, thanks for getting back to me @psychoadept! :)
I was looking into the exceptions and was thinking - if I create a custom tag named for example "Kind of album/track", and populated this with my different types, let's say:

・Classical compilation
・Classical publisher series
・Classical composer series
・Album
・Live album
・Band compilation/Greatest hits
・Non-album stray songs
・Single
・DJ continuous mix
・DJ mix
・Club series etc etc,

could I then simply list all these as exceptions, and voilá, have it all auto sorted? This would mean that until I edited that specific custom tag, no files would be moved, so I could do this as a last thing I the edit process.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Essentially, yes. You would have a separate template for each type. Although no matter what, everything in your library would have SOME template applied. But for things you haven't applied the custom tag to, you could give it a default template like To Be Tagged\<Album>\<Filename> so that it's not changed very much.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Johan_A_M

Essentially, yes. You would have a separate template for each type. Although no matter what, everything in your library would have SOME template applied.

Ah, this is closing in to be really exactly what I want, thanks! I already have the files in another version of the described order, so tagging them with

a default template like To Be Tagged\<Album>\<Filename> so that it's not changed very much.

would probably only mess it up. I really only would want the default template to be "do nothing"... ;D

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
In that case, you could just keep the files in the inbox until you're ready for them to be moved.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Johan_A_M

In that case, you could just keep the files in the inbox until you're ready for them to be moved.

Great advice, thanks!