Author Topic: Playcounts/last played dates not syncing from Last.FM  (Read 1911 times)

RichardMV

It hasn't happened to me often, but I've noticed that now and then (maybe once a month?) a few songs will correctly show up in my Last.FM scrobbles, but when I sync my MusicBee library with Last.FM, those songs won't update their last played times.

When I check an individual song, the date displayed is for the previous scrobble and if I clear the play count and re-sync with Last.FM, the play count will (usually) display correctly minus the most recent scrobble.

This issue is little more than an infrequent minor annoyance, and is pretty much solved by just playing the tracks in MusicBee to update the last played times, but it's been happening regularly enough that I thought it worth bringing up. I just updated to the most recent version of MusicBee (3.3.7165) and it was also occurring in the version I had before (3.0 or 3.1 something) so it seems like an issue that has been present for a bit. I'm assuming it's a weird thing on Last.FM's end with how scrobbles are being registered, but I'm not sure what it is. These scrobbles are being captured from Last.FMs phone app, which is registering tracks being played through the Pulsar app.

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't use last.fm, but Steven has changed what MB does with last.fm. I suggest you search the forum as there have been many discussions about it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

This feature is key to my usage and I've not had this happen.  Are you changing identifying tags (title / display artist / album) in between the play and the sync for these few songs?  If they no longer match, MB will not be able to tell what it was supposed to be.

You can kind of see what MB has gotten from last.fm in the cache file. It's not plain text and not editable, but you can make it out for the most part in a text editor to at least see what's been received. It's usually at C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\LastFmPlayCountCache.dat
Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:18:59 PM by frankz

RichardMV

This feature is key to my usage and I've not had this happen.  Are you changing identifying tags (title / display artist / album) in between the play and the sync for these few songs?  If they no longer match, MB will not be able to tell what it was supposed to be.

You can kind of see what MB has gotten from last.fm in the cache file. It's not plain text and not editable, but you can make it out for the most part in a text editor to at least see what's been received. It's usually at C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\LastFmPlayCountCache.dat

All these scrobbles are coming from my phone. I mostly listen to my music on the go and use MusicBee to organize my music collection, create playlists, and sync it all with my phone. As far as I know I have not changed tags for any of these songs, and they all occur in a row, so I don't think this is the issue. I looked over that cache file and the songs in question weren't in there (at least not toward the bottom with the other recent syncs).

I've noticed that I did play some songs through MusicBee on my laptop immediately before the ones I played on my phone that aren't Syncing with MusicBee:

Last scrobble from phone: 9/2 1:55 PM
3 songs scrobbled from MusicBee: 9/2 3:13 PM to 4:19 PM
Scrobbles from phone not syncing with MusicBee: 9/3 12:58 AM to 9/4 2:38 PM
Next song successfully synced from Last.FM to MusicBee: 9/4 2:42 PM

I'm not sure when I performed my next sync and noticed the issue, but there was no change in my phone or files in the period where the syncing succeeds again.

frankz

Personally if it was me I'd delete that file and let everything resync fresh and see what happens. It's incremental otherwise. Here's where that could be an issue.

You sync
You listen to some songs on the phone but they don't scrobble immediately for whatever reason
You sync
You listen in MB and songs do scrobble
Somewhere in here your phone scrobbles catch up
You listen to some more songs on the phone and they do scrobble
You sync
In this scenario, it'll never pick up the first batch I think. It doesn't fill in from the past.

That's all I can really think of. It works pretty flawlessly for me. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.
Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:57:32 PM by frankz

RichardMV

Personally if it was me I'd delete that file and let everything resync fresh and see what happens. [...] That's all I can really think of. It works pretty flawlessly for me.

It worked flawlessly for me, as well. Thank you for the suggestion! ^_^