Author Topic: organise library: Syntax question  (Read 1291 times)

Eis-T

I want to reduce clutter in my library so I'm rewriting the organisation formula. This is all new to me but thanks to the tutorial on the wiki its coming along nicely.
Tho there is 1 thing I can't seem to figure out. I've seen a user here that made musicbee count the number of tracks in an album, and if the number of tracks is lower than 3, no folder is created and the tracks are placed directly in the artist folder. This would make a lot of sense for my collection.
So how do I make this happen in Musicbee? my formula so far is:

Code
$If(<Album Artist>=<Artist>,<Album Artist>,<Artist>)\$IsNull(<Album>,,<Album>)\$IsNull(<Disc-Track#>,, <Disc-Track#>" ")<Title>

Thanks in advance!

Eis-T

hiccup

I've seen a user here that made musicbee count the number of tracks in an album, and if the number of tracks is lower than 3, no folder is created and the tracks are placed directly in the artist folder. This would make a lot of sense for my collection.
So how do I make this happen in Musicbee? my formula so far is:

You only need to add: $If(<Album Track Count><3,if true,if false) to your formula.

Using your current formula would then result in something like this:

$If(<Album Track Count><3,<Artist>\<Artist>" - "<Title>,$If(<Album Artist>=<Artist>,<Album Artist>,<Artist>)\$IsNull(<Album>,,<Album>)\$IsNull(<Disc-Track#>,, <Disc-Track#>" ")<Title>)

captain_paranoia

Being slightly OCD, I prefer to keep tracks filed under their disc source. Putting tracks at the artist level in the file hierarchy sounds to me like a more 'cluttered' approach than keeping all tracks stored at a consistent hierarchy level. This is especially true if you ever need to replace the tracks of a particular disc; you just replace the contents of the disc folder.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Being slightly OCD, I prefer to keep tracks filed under their disc source. Putting tracks at the artist level in the file hierarchy sounds to me like a more 'cluttered' approach than keeping all tracks stored at a consistent hierarchy level. This is especially true if you ever need to replace the tracks of a particular disc; you just replace the contents of the disc folder.
It avoids having lots of folders with only one or two tracks in them if you don't have the complete album.
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

Putting tracks at the artist level in the file hierarchy sounds to me like a more 'cluttered' approach than keeping all tracks stored at a consistent hierarchy level.

I believe many users resort to having alphabetical folders to keep things a bit more tidy.
To achieve that, the formula could be something like this:

Code
$Group(<Artist>,1)\$If(<Album Track Count><3,<Artist>" - non-album tracks"\<Artist>" - "<Title>,$If(<Album Artist>=<Artist>,<Album Artist>,<Artist>)\$IsNull(<Album>,,<Album>)\$IsNull(<Disc-Track#>,," "<Disc-Track#>" ")<Title>)

@OP:
You might need to refine the rules to specify where and if you want to use Artist, Sort Artist, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist.
Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:11:59 AM by hiccup

Eis-T

Thanks for the help so far! The reason I'm not using the first letter of an artist is because my library has an almost unhealthy amount of vaporwave. These artists often use japanese, korean, unicode or even emoji's as their artist names. Things might get pretty weird.

This is coming along really well! this is what I have so far, and gives the desired result for 80% of the music in my collection:

Code
 $If $IsNull(<Album Artist>,<Artist>,<Album Artist>)\$If(<Album Track Count><3,,$IsNull(<Year (yyyy)>,,<Year (yyyy)>) - <Album>)\$IsNull(<Disc-Track#>,, <Disc-Track#>" ")<Title>

the only thing I need to make an exception for is compilations. I've currently organised them the checkbox "itunes compilation". There are two ways to go here, one is to make an exception rule for if a file has the checkbox "itunes compilation" checked (I don't know the syntax for that command) a better way might be to filter for compilations in musicbee. i tried to mess around with the smart playlist function but I couldn't figure it out. The idea is to select all compilations, set the <album artist> field to "various artists" and be done with it :)

hiccup

one is to make an exception rule for if a file has the checkbox "itunes compilation" checked (I don't know the syntax for that command)

Have you tried: $If(<iTunes Compilation>=1,if true,if false)
?