Author Topic: Can you set MusicBee to sort your files the same way as the folder they're in?  (Read 1326 times)

panckanak

To clarify, is it possible to tell MB to not do any kind of internal sorting, but somehow just display the files the way they are sorted inside folder? As an example:

Folder A sorts music files by "Date Created", whilst folder B sorts them by "Last Modified".

If I put my all my music in folder A, MB should display my entire library the way it's sorted in the folder i.e. by "Date Created". If I move my library to folder B, MB should do the same but by "Last Modified" since folder B sorts that way. Basically MB doesn't do any sorting itself, it simply displays the way the files are sorted in the folder.

phred

• Global Moderator
Use the Computer Node which is located in the left sidebar. See the wiki for more explanations of where things are in MB.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

captain_paranoia

Frankly, you're much better off making sure the metadata allows you to sort logically, rather than rely on physical properties of the file (timestamps, etc).

When I first used a media manager, I got really angry that it modified the timestamps, which I used to order files. Then I realised that metadata is a much better way of doing it, and much more versatile in terms of how your media can be ordered, sorted, etc.

Zak

• Global Moderator
It also sounds like you're referring to file sorting as it happens in Windows Explorer. If that's true, you won't be able to replicate that in MusicBee.
MusicBee will use its own sorting - there's no way for it to know what Explorer was doing.

You could add Date Added and Date Modified as columns in MusicBee, but changing the sorting will apply to all folders - you won't be able to automatically sort folder A one way and folder B another.
Bee excellent to each other...

panckanak

Yeah I was referring to Windows Explorer. Bummer.

Frankly, you're much better off making sure the metadata allows you to sort logically, rather than rely on physical properties of the file (timestamps, etc).

When I first used a media manager, I got really angry that it modified the timestamps, which I used to order files. Then I realised that metadata is a much better way of doing it, and much more versatile in terms of how your media can be ordered, sorted, etc.

What do you mean?