Author Topic: Adding 'Suggested Genres' to compilation albums  (Read 1101 times)

wilte01

Current Problem

I add the genres for my music by making use of the 'Suggested Genres' option, available when editing an album or track(s).
This works great when there is a specific album artist.

The problem comes when I want to do the same for the tracks that form a compilation.  In this case the Album Artist has the value 'Various Artists'.  Using the Genre -> Suggested Genres always fails; guessing because Musicbee is accessing Spotify to get the list of genres but obviously doesn't find anything for Various Artists.

Workaround

I currently do the following for tracks that have the Album Artist as Various Artists

Edit a track(s)
Copy/paste the Artist value to Album Artist
Click on the three dots to open the Genre selection screen and click the 'Suggested Genres' button to retrieve      the genres for the artist
Ensure the chosen genres are saved to the Genre field
Change the Album Artist field back to ‘Various Artists’
Save the updated track information

Proposed Enhancement

My thought would be that an option be added, perhaps in Preferences, to say:

'Allow "Suggested Genres" to look for Track Artist if Album Artist is "Various Artists"'

Adding this as an option, unchecked by default, means that the behaviour would only alter when the option is checked.

boroda

+1. not only if album artist is "Various Artists", but also if it's what is entered in prefs> sorting/grouping> detect itunes compilations and treat as album artist.

Steven

• Administrator
for v3.6, it replaces album artist = Various Artists with the artist but it only works if you are editing a single track or the artist is the same ie. when editing multiple tracks where the arists are mixed wont work

wilte01

@boroda, a good point, I'd completely forgottten about that option; primarrily because I don't use ITunes

@Steven, sounds good, looking forward to v3.6

boroda

@boroda, a good point, I'd completely forgottten about that option; primarrily because I don't use ITunes

me too, but i'm using the localized entry "[Сборники]" instead of "Various Artists" for compilation albums, and that field is a good place to say mb which albums must be treated as compilations.