Author Topic: MusicBee suddenly won't open. Keep getting "Threw An Exception" message.  (Read 1670 times)

JamesLongly

Hi there,
I'm new to this, so I apologize if I'm not doing this correctly.
I have being using musicBee for years and have never had a problem with it.
Today, however, I went to change skins, and not only did it not open, it provided me with a bunch of unrecognizable data on my Notepad.
I tried rebooting my computer, ran 2 scans, and still it refuses to open.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?
I have a HUGE playlist of about 30,000 songs I'm working on alphabetically, and am on the letter "X".  So I've invested a lot of time in this.  I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall it and lose everything I've worked so hard for.
Thanks a lot,
James.

Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:33:01 PM by JamesLongly

sveakul

You didn't mention what version of MusicBee you were using, or what type (Portable-Installer-Windows Store), which would have been helpful to know.

MusicBee backs up its settings file, MusicBee3Settings.ini,  from the last time it started to a file named MusicBee3Settings.bak.  Use Windows Explorer/File Explorer to locate those two files on your PC.  Rename the one with the *.ini extension to something like *.old, and then the *.bak to *.ini.  Then see if MusicBee starts for you.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It might help if you posted the specific error you're getting.

Also check out the backup & restore page on the wiki. Reinstalling shouldn't cause you to lose anything, but it's always a good idea to back up the critical files just in case.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

JamesLongly

Thank you very much, sveakul.  I am using Version 3.1, on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and have never had the need to upgrade.  It has worked for me perfectly until just now.  
I'm not too computer savvy, so I really don't know what you mean.
I just tried running a Sysytem, Restore, but that didn't change anything.  I still can't get into my MusicBee.
I don't use Windows Exlplorer, I use Chrome, but I DO have all the MusicBee files in a folder on my PC.  And most all files end with "dll".
I don't know how to locate the files and do what you suggested.  But I appreciate you trying to help. :)

JamesLongly

Thank you psychoadept, I have all my files on a hard drive, so it wouldn't be a problem to reload them into MusicBee if I ever could get it to work.
However, my main concern is that the HUGE playlist I was working on will be lost, if I uninstall.
I tried to attach the error codes it gave me, but it was far too big.  Thank you!
If I could I could send you a screesnhot of what I am seeing, but I don't seea way how to.

sveakul

Thank you very much, sveakul.  I am using Version 3.1, on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and have never had the need to upgrade.  It has worked for me perfectly until just now.  
I'm not too computer savvy, so I really don't know what you mean.
I just tried running a Sysytem, Restore, but that didn't change anything.  I still can't get into my MusicBee.
I don't use Windows Exlplorer, I use Chrome, but I DO have all the MusicBee files in a folder on my PC.  And most all files end with "dll".
I don't know how to locate the files and do what you suggested.  But I appreciate you trying to help. :)

Windows Explorer (NOT "Internet Explorer") is not the browser but the tool that allows you to look at the files and folders on your PC, like the MusicBee files you said mostly end in "dll".  You can do searches with it using the Search box in the upper right hand corner of the screen.  Do a search there for the two files I described in my first post, then when they are found rename them as I described and restart MusicBee.

JamesLongly

And psychoadept?  I just tried downloading the latest version, but I still get the "threw an exception" message.  It won't allow me to install it!   I just wish there was a way I could get into my MusicBee so I can save a copy of my laylist so far.  But it won't allow me in!

JamesLongly

OK guys!  I don't know WHAT made me think of this, but earlier, I went to change skins to "Computer Blue".   For some reason, I just decided to delete that skin from the MusicBee folder, and - viola - IT LET ME BACK IN!   So it seems to be all good now!
Thank you so much for all your help!  I really apprecite it!!!!!

sveakul

I'm not familiar with the "Computer Blue" skin but I do know there are compatibility issues between older versions of MB and some of the newer skins.  You made a good call in both remembering and deleting the problem skin (so you see you DO know how to use Windows Explorer  :) ).  The procedure I was suggesting would have launched MB with the last skin that did work OK, but that's not needed now.  I would strongly recommend you make a backup of your full existing MB installation, and then consider doing a fresh install of the latest MusicBee, during which you can import your old library and its playlists.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm not familiar with the "Computer Blue"
There is no MB skin called "Computer Blue" but it may be a translation thing.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Zak

• Global Moderator
I also suggest right-clicking your 30,000 track playlist and selecting Export Playlist and saving a copy somewhere safe - even email it to yourself so you have a simple backup in "the cloud".
MusicBee should never unwittingly delete a playlist file, but it's always best practice to have two copies (at least) of anything you've spent so much time on. Music can be replaced, time can not.
Bee excellent to each other...