Author Topic: Master screenshot post  (Read 72828 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Oh no, not at all. I quite enjoy it.

Besides, it keeps me honest.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Dalinar

also these 2 other programs are part of the holy triumvirate of best ever screenshot programs for Windows

1) greenshot (it is simpler than sharex, without the cloud upload and with an amazing editor)
2) ScreenShot Captor.. amazing program, lots of capabilities

I have a question about Imgur... for the life of me I can't figure out how to create new Albums. I feel really stupid.. I know I've done it before (years ago when I last used imgur) because I can move files to those Albums but I cannot figure out how to create a new Album.

On the off chance that they actually nixed this feature (sounds stupid so I think the fault is more that I don't understand their interface), what is a good image uploading/sharing site with nice UI that can/is:

1) free
2) big enough that it isn't going to disappear
3) holds photos for a fairly long time before deleting
4) Album support
5) Ability to have images laid out with a caption and successively down the page the way ImgUr lets you would be nice as well but not as important as the features above.
6) tagging - also nice but not essential.
7) drag and drop on page to add photos

decard

also these 2 other programs are part of the holy triumvirate of best ever screenshot programs for Windows

1) greenshot (it is simpler than sharex, without the cloud upload and with an amazing editor)
2) ScreenShot Captor.. amazing program, lots of capabilities

I have a question about Imgur... for the life of me I can't figure out how to create new Albums. I feel really stupid.. I know I've done it before (years ago when I last used imgur) because I can move files to those Albums but I cannot figure out how to create a new Album.

On the off chance that they actually nixed this feature (sounds stupid so I think the fault is more that I don't understand their interface), what is a good image uploading/sharing site with nice UI that can/is:

1) free
2) big enough that it isn't going to disappear
3) holds photos for a fairly long time before deleting
4) Album support
5) Ability to have images laid out with a caption and successively down the page the way ImgUr lets you would be nice as well but not as important as the features above.
6) tagging - also nice but not essential.
7) drag and drop on page to add photos

i know this is somewhat old thread, but regarding screensot apps, i do not know why Snagit (by Techsmith) is not mentioned?
possibly the first and the best of screenshot apps. and which i have for over ten years. albeit, i stubbornly would not move past v9.2 becuase they went all MS and each enhanced ver, i regarded as more buggy and problematic than the previous

that said, because of some sort of new Win10 or other bug, i have recently looked for other alts, and came up with Greenshot mentioned here, Ashampoo, PicPick, Win Snap & Fire Shot ... i have installed Greenshot, but am still using Snagit out of sheer habit, bug and all.

Zak

• Global Moderator
i know this is somewhat old thread, but regarding screensot apps, i do not know why Snagit (by Techsmith) is not mentioned?
Probably because it costs $100 and Greenshot is free.
Bee excellent to each other...

decard

Probably because it costs $100 and Greenshot is free.

hmmm. well i just checked and it is just under $US70 (which is about $A100 if you mean that); but in any case, that is hugely different to what i paid all those ago - must have been about $15-$20. and you will note that i actually preferred to stay at ver 9.2 and not move to later versions i regarded as worse, not better, a las MS.

phred

• Global Moderator
...and Greenshot is free.
As is ShareX, which can do a hell of a lot more than Greenshot. In fact ShareX -uses- Greenshot for its image editing module.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

As is ShareX, which can do a hell of a lot more than Greenshot.

:D +1. yes, sharex is a really great program. especially considering that it's free. and considering that there is a portable version.

decard

As is ShareX, which can do a hell of a lot more than Greenshot. In fact ShareX -uses- Greenshot for its image editing module.

noted. although i am putting up with two sigificant bugs in Snagit at the moment (one a long-standing issue of not doing scrolling Window capture), i am soooo used to it, it will take a definite effort to change, but maybe. in the meantime, i will check ShareX which did not come up at all in my previous search/es for these apps. Thanks.

decard

noted. although i am putting up with two sigificant bugs in Snagit at the moment (one a long-standing issue of not doing scrolling Window capture), i am soooo used to it, it will take a definite effort to change, but maybe. in the meantime, i will check ShareX which did not come up at all in my previous search/es for these apps. Thanks.

did a search and ShareX came up ... one thing i noticed is that it apparently uploads screenshots (or videos) somewhere and copies the link in your Clipboard ... pretty relevant to what we are discussing

MADBIKER1960

• Hello, I am a friendly knowledgeable guy.
There is also a program called Lightshot that does a better job then Print Screen.

It can be obtained here: https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html

hiccup

There is also a program called Lightshot that does a better job then Print Screen.

It can be obtained here: …
Thanks for this additional suggestion MADBIKER1960.

But looking at the website of Lightshot somehow triggered some feeling of unease in me.
So I then briefly googled on it and ran into this article:
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lightshot-chrome-screenshot-app

It saying that "Lightshot is a privacy nightmare".

I'm not saying it is malware per se, but I am also not convinced of the motives of the developers of Lightshot being completely honest and transparent, or can be trusted completely.

And, as sad as it is to say this:
The fact that the program is from a Russian company (company, not an individual) also doesn't help in the light of what is happening in the world today…
Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 04:59:19 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
...saying that "Lightshot is a privacy nightmare".
Thanks hiccup for putting on your Sherlock Holmes hat and discovering this. I'll stick with Share-X.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MTVhike

Why doesn't the MB forum allow simply dragging the image file to the reply window like many other forums do?

phred

• Global Moderator
Why doesn't the MB forum allow simply dragging the image file to the reply window like many other forums do?
It has nothing to do with MB, but rather with the Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software the forum uses. The forum software is FREE and as with most free things on the Internet, options are somewhat limited. Since MB is a totally free software, developed by one single person in his spare time, there is no need for him to add the expense of a "better" forum software package. He already is paying for web server access.

Yes, dragging and dropping an image into a post is much easier, but there are other ways to get the image posted. The other forums are using different forum software which allows dragging images.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MTVhike

Thanks, Phred, a very reasonable explanation!