Author Topic: Add Configurable Channel Count to "upmix stereo to 5.1" Option  (Read 4866 times)

PseudoResonance

The "upmix stereo to 5.1" option under "Player" is fantastic, however, as it only outputs 6 channels, side speakers are ignored. I can go into the settings file "MusicBee3Settings.ini" in AppData and set "PlayerUpmixChannelCount" to 8 instead of 6 and it will work perfectly, outputting 8 channels, meaning my side speakers are used as well as all other speakers, however if I ever change a setting in MusicBee again, it will reset to the default of 6, and I have to adjust the value in the config file again.

Obviously, everything is already there for the program to support outputting to more than just 6 channels, so it would be really great if there was either a dropdown box to select the number of channels to output to (ex: 2.1, 5.1, 7.1) or if there was simply a dialog box that allowed the input of a number of channels to output to. Either option would allow the desired functionality of outputting to all channels available on the audio device.

I am not sure how the interface is designed, but I think it would be fairly simple to make this option more configurable, and it would really  benefit anyone who has more than a 5.1 setup.

Thank you for the otherwise fantastic program!

JZStudios

I'm just curious as to the implementation MB uses, since it's better than anything else I've heard.

PseudoResonance

I was under the impression that MusicBee simply plays nearly the exact same audio out on all channels at equal volume. Possibly something to direct left to left, and right to right? Not sure how that would work though. It works really well though, and seems to be nearly the same as what my Yamaha home theater amp does when I play music to it through aux or Bluetooth.

If I use other stuff, like Realtek's upmixer, it tries to do some sort of positional thing and doesn't work out well, meaning I basically just end up with stereo audio from only the front left/right anyways, which is why I've resorted to editing the MusicBee config and setting the upmix channels to 8. It would be nice if I didn't have to reset it each time I changed any settings though.

JZStudios

I was under the impression that MusicBee simply plays nearly the exact same audio out on all channels at equal volume. Possibly something to direct left to left, and right to right? Not sure how that would work though. It works really well though, and seems to be nearly the same as what my Yamaha home theater amp does when I play music to it through aux or Bluetooth.

If I use other stuff, like Realtek's upmixer, it tries to do some sort of positional thing and doesn't work out well, meaning I basically just end up with stereo audio from only the front left/right anyways, which is why I've resorted to editing the MusicBee config and setting the upmix channels to 8. It would be nice if I didn't have to reset it each time I changed any settings though.
No, it uses stereo panning for "placement." It works pretty well, and a lot better than VLC, Razer, Dolby, etc. and even all of the surround albums I've tried.