Author Topic: Importing track data into MB - Could I get an example XML file?  (Read 674 times)

Vexen

Could someone give an example XML format that I can use to import & update MusicBee? I have huge volumes of track data in a DB and can write it out in pretty much any format I want. I just need to see an example of what MB expects.

Examples include track ratings (1 to 5 & unrated), but also, there's a lot of track title & band name values that are (decades) old in my tags, and I'd like to mass-update tags from a DB (i.e., of tens of thousands of tracks).

(1) Generic track ratings. I could export a list of filenames & track values, and I'd like to import into MusicBee so it updates each track accordingly.

(2) Genre-specific track ratings, for example, track might have genre=trance rating=5, but when compared to dance music more generally, only has genre=dance, rating=3.

(3) Track title and artist title: Very simple one - I have over 10k music files but their tags are a decade or so out of date; I'd like to update all their tags with values from a DB; the best way is probably via each track's filepath & name.

(4) Other custom tags such as "Profanity". I'll have to configure some of the available custom tags to do this; but once I name the custom tags, I'd like to create (from old DB) a list of tracks that should have the "profanity" tag, and import this into MB.

(5) Multiple-albums; my current DB knows which albums each track is in. Some tracks are in many, but, in MusicBee at the moment I can only see a way to fill out "Original album" and "Album"; I can fix this problem by not using those fields and using Playlists instead, but am I missing something - is there a way to switch the Album field to a multi-value field (as are tags fields)?

I've seen questions on these issues on a lot of threads, but haven't seen an single XML file fragment or scheme that tells me what format to export my data as, so MB can understand it.

Vexen

Some other threads that discuss this include https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21917.0 , and I've looked at large parts of the overall "Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools" thread, which is often referred to in questions similar to mine, but I don't think they're for mass-data-import activities.

frankz

I think you're probably better off doing this in MP3Tag or some other dedicated tagging tool that can import text files and apply tags from that text file to a list of music files in order.

https://help.mp3tag.de/main_converter.html#tff