Author Topic: m3u association with windows store version of musicbee  (Read 905 times)

jokrump

m3u playlist files aren't associated to musicbee if you opted for the windows store installation. There's no easy and straightforward way to make this happen as the MB installation is behind Program Files\WindowsApps folder. Even an administrator account requires special read access which isn't insurmountable but seems unnecessary to utilize such a common music file type through MB. Further, best practices requires that you reverse all the special read access you've granted yourself to make m3u files default to MB once the job is done. This is for security reasons.

Future updates to musicbee should account for the m3u file type.

phred

• Global Moderator
Is there any particular reason you're using the Store version? You won't have the issue you referenced if you use the Portable or Installer versions.

Also note that the Store version lags way behind as far as updates go, which is another reason to use either of the two versions I mentioned. Just be sure that if using the Portable version place it in something like C:\MusicBee and not in any of the Windows system directories.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sveakul

The Windows Store version is severely restricted by the Windows OS permissions hierarchy, as you have described.  The latter also makes it impossible to apply manual updates, or use many 3rd-party plugins.  That said, have you considered changing to either the Installer, or (even better IMHO) the Portable version, where these limitations vanish?

jokrump

Is there any particular reason you're using the Store version? You won't have the issue you referenced if you use the Portable or Installer versions.

Also note that the Store version lags way behind as far as updates go, which is another reason to use either of the two versions I mentioned. Just be sure that if using the Portable version place it in something like C:\MusicBee and not in any of the Windows system directories.

New computer, new installation. I previously used the installer, but I saw the new store option with automatic updates so I opted to give it a shot.  It's not a deal-breaker by any means, but Windows allows other programs such as Media Player Classic-HC to associate with m3u files, so I just wanted to alert the developers here to a (minor) shortfall.

sveakul

@jokrump:  the automatic update feature in the Store version is attractive, but as phred states those are not actually pushed through anywhere near as often as the manual updates (linked in phred's sig) which sometimes are done twice a day (!).  This isn't exactly spelled out in the download choices so hey no sweat!  In the Portable version you can associate *.m3u easily with MusicBee through the standard Windows right-click Open With/Choose Default Program method.