Author Topic: Hide 'Unknown' while grouping  (Read 3033 times)

constantinemerus

Greetings,

First, let me tell you what I am trying to do, maybe you guys have a better a solution than me.

This is my layout:

As you can see, I am using left main panel to list Album Artists. Which is great. Now, there are quite a lot of artists with multiple projects. I thought it would be nice to group their projects under their name. For that, I am using 'Original Artist' field. There's no Group By: Original Artist so I had to create a virtual-tag for that. So now it looks something like this, which is fine:

Here's my problem. When Original Artist field is blank, it would be listed under 'Unknown Original Artist' which is less than pleasant. Is there any way to not show that or change the error message? Or any other suggestion to do this. Thanks.

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't understand why people don't use the 'preview' button before posting. Especially when posting screenshots. Because your screenshots don't appear.

You can modify your post to include your screenshots or just post them as a reply.

See my sig for screenshot info.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

constantinemerus

Well mate, I don't understand neither, my images do show up for me. Let me try a different host.

Zak

• Global Moderator
You should be able to add an $IsNull() function to your virtual tag to change it to something else if it's empty.
Code
$IsNull(<YourVirtualTag>,Other,<YourVirtualTag>)
Bee excellent to each other...

constantinemerus

constantinemerus

Okay seems I got excited too quickly. Although that solution has made things a lot better. But now there's a sorting problem. I get all the artists with the filled field which I am grouping by sorted A-Z, then the ones with the blank field sorted A-Z.

Is there a way, not to group artists when the group by field is blank? I'm not sure if I am making sense so I try to explain with an example.

Let's say I have A, B, D, E, their 'Original Artist' field is blank.
And then there is C1, C2, C3, that has 'Original Artist' field set to "C".

Right now it shows it like this:

C
C1
C2
C3

Other
A
B
D
E

What I like to happen is this

A
B

C
C1
C2
C3

D
E

I hope I am making sense. It's like that I only want to group some of the artists, not all of them. Thanks for the help.
Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:32:03 PM by constantinemerus

hiccup

What happens when in your virtual formula you replace 'Other' with <Album Artist>

constantinemerus

Solves the sorting problem, but results in duplicate names which is a tad less than pleasant.

hiccup

What duplicates in your screenshot are you referring to exactly?
Your screenshots are not pixel-perfect, and (to me) it's not completely obvious what are your artists and what are their projects.

constantinemerus

Sorry mate. Here's a better one:

It's not that big of a deal. But I wish it was just different, I do have a bit of an OCD  :-X

hiccup

But I wish it was just different, I do have a bit of an OCD  :-X

That's not a bad thing, you might be speaking for most of us here ;-)

Quickly testing this myself a little bit, the result looks like how I would like it myself:

Maybe you could explain what you don't like about this, and how you would like to have this displaying exactly?
(perhaps by means of a mock-up screenshot?)
Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:44:37 PM by hiccup

constantinemerus

It works just fine when there's an artist with multiple projects. But single projects are shown like my previous screenshot.

Amorphis
Amorphis

Animals As Leaders
Animals As Leaders

and so on.

This is closer to my ideal:

hiccup

Taking that screenshot (too OCD) literally:

It gives the impression that 'Between the Burried and Me' is a project by Arjen Anthony Lucassen.

So something will need to happen additionally with regards to bold fonts or dividing lines.
I'll see if I can give it some thought at a later moment.

Hopefully other members have some good suggestion?

constantinemerus

Yes, you are absolutely right. It needs some sort of a separator or something. Thanks mate.

hiccup

This might only be possible if there was some sub-grouping option for the thumbnail browser. (as it is available in the Album and Tracks main panel)