Author Topic: Remote Control for iOS (MusicBee Remote companion)  (Read 36153 times)

dandepeched

It looks like you are monetizing this far beyond the extend of just asking people to help you with some $100 Apple fee.

Yes, it was changed when I got a choice either to abandon this app to spend more time on real work and feed my family or to continue its development with more reliable support from app users.
Right now all important app functionality is available for free and more free features will come.
For those who need additional features and who want to support further app development, there is an option to invest into it.
Trust me, it's not a big income at all. It is similar to Donate button for MusicBee player. But in App Store donate buttons and links are forbidden. In-app purchases is the only allowed way and they take 30% to themself.
Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:19:09 PM by dandepeched

hiccup

Trust me, it's not a big income at all. It is similar to Donate button for MusicBee player.

There is a very big difference between a donate button and a fee structure to get freed from ads or to unlock features.

Obviously that's your prerogative and you can do as you feel is right.

But as you know both Steven and Kelsos, and each and every other member contributing to MusicBee on this forum and website with addons, skins, support and whatnot are doing it completely for free.
No ads, no crippled features, no fee structure.

It seems your contribution is an exception to that and I thought it only fair to have that mentioned.
Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:19:56 PM by hiccup

hiccup

To be clear:

I do have respect for your efforts to create and share your MusicBee addon.
I am sure many Apple users (that also use MusicBee) are very grateful for what you have created.
I do understand and respect that you are looking for ways to get some financial compensation for your efforts.

What I personally do have some problem with, is that you are using a free platform (the MusicBee forum and website), free software (MusicBee), and a free role model (Kelsos' remote addon) to monetise your addon without being completely transparent about the ways that you are doing that.

When I look at MusicBee's forum- and addons page for your addon, two things stand out to me:

1. You do not mention that your addon contains advertisements.
2. You are listing features that are not available by default. A user will have to pay you first to unlock them.

Please don't take this as some personal attack.
But I am apprehensive of this becoming some  'new normal' use of MusicBee's resources, forum and website.
Over the last twelve years, we all have gotten used (and yes, have been spoiled) to MusicBee being free and unrestricted in the sense of available features, and it not containing any sort of commercial advertising or ties.
This also goes for all contributions from forum members, ranging from addons, plugins, skins, theatre modes to support.
All are offered for free.
No restrictions, no commercial ties.

Your addon to my knowledge currently is the only exception to that spirit.
The features that are advertised are not available for free, and the addon contains commercial content.

Please feel free to ignore my personal opinion on this. It's just me, and others (maybe even the majority) may have a very different opinion.
But I am concerned about the lack of transparency, and commercial infestation possibly spreading further here.

dandepeched

But I am concerned about the lack of transparency, and commercial infestation possibly spreading further here.

Features that advertised on this platform is free.
But I can understand your concern. I will expand description to make it transparent.
Btw, are you using this iOS app?
Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:12:14 PM by dandepeched

hiccup

Features that advertised on this platform is free.
But I can understand your concern. I will expand description to make it transparent.
I may have misinterpreted some info then. I had the impression that e.g. information on track details was advertised, but not available by default.
It looks like I was wrong about that.
My apologies for that.

My concerns about the commercial (and privacy) aspect remain.
But I am guessing that Apple (and Android) users are probably very accustomed to that.

Thanks for responding this fast, and I do hope that both you and the users of your addon prosper and enjoy it.
Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:24:34 PM by hiccup

SebGirar

Hi,
I am having troubles with the last version of the iOS remote.
When I try to connect from the remote, I get this message in MusicBee :

MusicBee v3.4.7747.35047D  (Win10.0), 18 mars 2021 15:38:

System.ArgumentException: ip and mask lengths don't match
   at MusicBeePlugin.Tools.NetworkTools.GetNetworkAddress(IPAddress address, IPAddress subnetMask)
   at MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.ServiceDiscovery.InterfaceAddress(String ipString, List`1 addresses)
   at MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.ServiceDiscovery.OnDataReceived(IAsyncResult ar)
   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
   at System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
   at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)

It was working fine with the last version of the iOS app.
Plugin version is 1.4 and MusicBee version is 3.4.7747.
Do you experience the same problem ?
Many thanks,

dandepeched

Hi, thanks for reporting the error! This looks like a bug and I will need to look into it.
Can you please provide plugin log files from following folder: C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\mb_remote
For portable version AppData is located in MusicBee folder.
Please include all .log files that are present in there.

Also can you try following workaround and let me know if it works for you:
• Locate MusicBee Remote option under the Tools menu in MusicBee player.
• In the plugin window check that status is Running and make note of displayed IP address and port.
• Make sure that Update Firewall checkbox is selected and press Save button to apply firewall rules.
• In MusicBee Remote app on your iPhone go to the Settings page and press Disconnect in case it is connected.
• Select Enter IP option and type address and port displayed in the plugin window on PC.
Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:33:30 PM by dandepeched

SebGirar

Hi, thanks for reporting the error! This looks like a bug and I will need to look into it.
Can you please provide plugin log files from following folder: C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\mb_remote
For portable version AppData is located in MusicBee folder.
Please include all .log files that are present in there.

Also can you try following workaround and let me know if it works for you:
• Locate MusicBee Remote option under the Tools menu in MusicBee player.
• In the plugin window check that status is Running and make note of displayed IP address and port.
• Make sure that Update Firewall checkbox is selected and press Save button to apply firewall rules.
• In MusicBee Remote app on your iPhone go to the Settings page and press Disconnect in case it is connected.
• Select Enter IP option and type address and port displayed in the plugin window on PC.

Thank you for your quick answer.
I don't know how to send you the log file. So here are the lines in this file that seems the most relevant :

2021-03-18 22:04:49.8359 [ERROR]
MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.SocketServer : 0
While starting the socket service
Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

2021-03-18 22:05:53.7206 [DEBUG]
03/18/2021 22:05:53 : OnClientConnect Exception : The IAsyncResult object was not returned from the corresponding asynchronous method on this class.
Parameter name: asyncResult

2021-03-18 22:05:53.7206 [DEBUG]
03/18/2021 22:05:53 : OnClientConnect Exception : You must call the Bind method before performing this operation.

2021-03-18 22:08:11.0797 [DEBUG]
MusicBeePlugin.InfoWindow : 0
Tester Connection error
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:3000

Something strange :
I start MusicBee and open the remote plugin windows : Status  = Running
I try to connect from the iPhone : Connecting...
If I open the remote plugin windows again : Status = Stopped
Then I get the error message in MusicBee.

I hope this helps !

dandepeched

I don't know how to send you the log file.

To investigate this I actually need debug logs. Can you please enable them in plugin window, then repeat an error and send log files to my email - [email protected]
Also please send the screenshot of plugin window with the Running status and with the Stopped status.
Thank you!

weinmanj

I tried today to add the Musicbee Remote app to my iPhone, but nothing I do can get it to connect: I open the app, it attempts to connect, I get a "Connection failed" message.

This is no doubt connected to the other problem, which is that when I open the Configuration for MusicBee remote on my PC, it lists the status as "Stopped." Unfortunately the instructions don't say how to fix this, only that "something has gone terribly wrong" if we see this.

Is there any guidance I should read on: 1. How to stop seeing the "connection failed" error and 2. How to change from "Stopped" to "Running."

I'm sure this has been covered already but I did a search and couldn't find it.

I will try to add a screenshot when I can.

dandepeched

when I open the Configuration for MusicBee remote on my PC, it lists the status as "Stopped."

Usually this means that plugin is not installed correctly. Please make sure you are using latest version of MusicBee player downloaded from https://getmusicbee.com/downloads/. Then try to delete installed plugin and follow iOS in-app Tutorial to install plugin again. Tutorial can be found in the Settings menu under a question mark. Make sure you also perform Post Installation steps from tutorial.
Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 04:02:35 PM by dandepeched

weinmanj

Thank you; installing the updated version took care of the "Stopped" message, but I still am not able to connect with the remote app -- it just says "connection failed" no matter what I do.

dandepeched

it just says "connection failed" no matter what I do.

This means that for some reason iOS app cannot reach PC via network. Make sure they are in the same local network (connected to the same router). Make sure you updated Firewall according to Post Installation steps from the Tutorial. Check IP address of your PC(it can be found in the plugin window). Manually enter IP and port 3000 to the iOS app Connection setting. If it won't work, please attach plugin window screenshot.

weinmanj

Thank you, it seems to be working now -- i don't know exactly how, but I suspect that there was a problem with the firewall and updating it did the trick.

Thanks again.

Adson

After a long time I tried to use Remote App on my iPad Pro 21.

Unfortunately it could not make a connection to MB running on my W10 computer.

After returning to my computer I found the following error message:

---------------------------------------------
MusicBee v3.4.8033.18564P  (Win10.0), 9 Jan 2022 14:43:

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Eine vorhandene Verbindung wurde vom Remotehost geschlossen
   bei System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndReceiveFrom(IAsyncResult asyncResult, EndPoint& endPoint)
   bei System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient.EndReceive(IAsyncResult asyncResult, IPEndPoint& remoteEP)
   bei MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.ServiceDiscovery.OnDataReceived(IAsyncResult ar)
   bei System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   bei System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)
   bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   bei System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   bei System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
   bei System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
   bei System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)
--------------------------------

It seems that an error has happened. Maybe this error message can help to find out, what did go wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS The first line of the error message contains an German sentence, that says: "An existing connection was closed by the Remotehost".