Author Topic: Remote Control for iOS (MusicBee Remote companion)  (Read 36170 times)

dandepeched

A long-waited Remote Control application for iOS devices!

Download on the App Store
Supports iPhone and iPad starting from iOS 9.

APP FEATURES:
 ◉ Player controls (play, pause, next, previous, volume change, shuffle, repeat, playback progress)
 ◉ Now Playing track info (artist, album, title, artwork).
 ◉ Lyrics support
 ◉ 5 star rating
 ◉ Last.fm love
 ◉ List Artists, Albums, Genres or Songs from library
 ◉ Ability to enqueue or play the tracks from library
 ◉ List and play existing playlists
 ◉ Now Playing list
etc

Download plugin - MusicBee Remote Plugin
Plugin installation and configuration guide - https://mbrc.kelsos.net/help/
Original plugin discussion - https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7221.0

In case of any questions you can contact me via email - [email protected]

PS:
Application is currently in active development thanks to all the people who support it with buying access to secondary features. For the free users there is a minor contribution of a few ad banners.
PPS:
I want to thank Steven for awesome player and to thank kelsos for awesome plugin
Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:22:21 PM by dandepeched

Steven

• Administrator
thats great news and hopefully someone will confirm its working ok. When you are happy with it, feel free to also submit it to the add-ons page

dandepeched

thats great news and hopefully someone will confirm its working ok. When you are happy with it, feel free to also submit it to the add-ons page

Hi Steven, do you think a separate plugin page is needed? At this moment iOS remote is fully compatible with kelsos' MusicBee Remote Plugin, so maybe it's enough mentioning iOS app on that page.

Steven

• Administrator
Hi Steven, do you think a separate plugin page is needed? At this moment iOS remote is fully compatible with kelsos' MusicBee Remote Plugin, so maybe it's enough mentioning iOS app on that page.
That's up to Kelsos, but he hasnt been very active on the forum of late. I would recommend you set up your own page and reference Kelsos's page

chrizzftd

This is so good!

Thanks a lot for this; so far I had to use "Unified Remote" to control this from an iOS device. Having a specialized MusicBee controller is much better!

Looking forward having more functionality exposed in the future  :D

Adson

Thank you very much for your work.

I am just downloading the app to my iPad Pro and will test it this evening.

Will it be possible to download tracks to the device via your app? That would be a very useful function because importing files from Windows to iOS currently is a pain.

Thanks for sharing your app with us.

Let me know if I can help in any way (e.g. testing or translating to German language etc.)

A. :-)

mrbenn

Will it be possible to download tracks to the device via your app?

i(pad)OS 13 supports SMB, which opens up some interesting possibilities.

chrizzftd

I'd be very curious to know what those possibilities are. Happy to help testing as well. It's 2019 and syncing a FLAC based library to iOS is still a big pain. You either:

a) Transcode everytime a new item is added to your library, then add to iTunes to allow an iOS device to sync.
  OR
b) Use a FLAC native app and deal with a manual sync all the time, which is so painful if you want granular control on what to sync (iTunes app storage handling does not expose enough control)

Gave up a while ago and barely transfer music to my iOS device anymore...

dandepeched

It's 2019 and syncing a FLAC based library to iOS is still a big pain.

Hi guys,
Thanks for your feedback!

Unfortunately this app is only for Remote Control purpose and will never support files synchronization.

I'm keeping my library in ALAC to make files compatible with iTunes and iOS. ALAC is a native format for iOS and synchronization is smooth via iTunes.
So I suggest you to convert all your FLAC to ALAC.
Also there is a native option in iTunes to convert and sync ALAC to AAC which I'm using. This saves a lot of space on my phone.

dandepeched

Version 1.1.0 is released!

New:
 ◉ Browse library by Artists, Albums, Genres or Songs
 ◉ Swipe to enqueue or play selected tracks
 ◉ List and play existing playlists
 ◉ AutoDJ mode support
 ◉ iOS13 Dark mode support

Fixes:
 ◉ Better Now Playing synchronization
 ◉ iPad landscape mode is now disabled as designed

Coogan

@dandepeched:

The remote is working, but is there a way to have it display the entire Now Playing list, instead of the just the artwork of the currently playing track?

My MusicBee Version:

dandepeched

@dandepeched:

The remote is working, but is there a way to have it display the entire Now Playing list, instead of the just the artwork of the currently playing track?

Currently plugin does not provide this information, so I cannot integrate this feature into application.
At some point I will probably add this functionality to plugin, but this is not planned for the nearest future.

Coogan

@dandepeched:

Currently plugin does not provide this information, so I cannot integrate this feature into application.
At some point I will probably add this functionality to plugin, but this is not planned for the nearest future.

Ok.  I just thought it would be handy to be able to select a song from the Now Playing list to play.
Thanks for the quick response.  I do really like the app.
My MusicBee Version:

kirkroy

Hi there,
really exited for the remote, but unfortionatly I cant manage to connect :(  :(
installed plugin and IOS app and tried local IP and also IPv4 with port 3000, but nothing is happening.
help guide is only for android and unfortionatly doesnt help on IOS :(
Could anyone help? thanks

dandepeched

Hi there,
really exited for the remote, but unfortionatly I cant manage to connect :(  :(
installed plugin and IOS app and tried local IP and also IPv4 with port 3000, but nothing is happening.
help guide is only for android and unfortionatly doesnt help on IOS :(
Could anyone help? thanks

Have you checked plugin configuration guide? https://mbrc.kelsos.net/help/#configuration

Also check the following info:
In order to use the application you need a working WiFi connection, that doesn't have access point isolation.
You have to first install the plugin.
After installing the plugin if you are not prompted to allow MusicBee or the plugin through the Windows Firewall you might have to manually configure Windows Firewall to allow the plugin to receive connections.