Author Topic: Player Issues  (Read 2344 times)

Spoox

I'm using the latest version of MusicBee.

Over the last week i've been sorting out my MP3's recorded from cassette recordings. They're stored on my hard drive but not yet in my MusicBee library. I usually add to my library once all the files are sorted. When playing through them some refuse to play & i get this message:

"The Sound Output Device Has Locked Up & Playback Can Not Continue..."

Then ones that played fine yesterday refuse to play today & i get the same message. If i hover over the file in MusicBee, Right Click on my mouse - Send To - File Rescan - they seem to play but why is this happening to begin with? Especially as files that played the previous day no longer play today?

I've never had any issues when playing CD recordings or bought digital releases (MP3 or Lossless). Occasionally it does happen when playing my Lossless vinyl recordings.

I've tried switching the player from WASAPI (Shared) to DirectSound & back again but i'm still having the same problems.

I've tested the MP3's with MP3val & the scan results said the files are "OK"

Is there something else i can try please or are there other settings available that can sort this issue?
It's frustrating spending time organizing my files, listening to them one day, then the following day they no longer play properly.

Many thanks

Spoox

Just tested 12 MP3's with  Mp3tag. 5 of the files were missing the ID3 Tag.

Would this be why they are messing around with MusicBee?

hiccup

I would suggest you try running them through MP3 Diags.
It's very good in analysing and showing you all sorts of problems with mp3 files and possibly fixing them.

Spoox

Thanks for the reply.
I just downloaded the program. In one folder i have 12 files so decided to scan these first. After the first 5 the program stopped scanning & froze. The only way i could stop the program is by the Task Manager to terminate it.

The files i tested earlier in the evening were all "OK" according to Mp3val. I turned off my PC a few hours ago. Just turned it back on & now some of the files are messed up again :(

Spoox

Also forgot to mention that all the files play fine with Windows Media Player but i don't use this. I use MusicBee.

sveakul

Thanks for the reply.
I just downloaded the program. In one folder i have 12 files so decided to scan these first. After the first 5 the program stopped scanning & froze. The only way i could stop the program is by the Task Manager to terminate it.

The files i tested earlier in the evening were all "OK" according to Mp3val. I turned off my PC a few hours ago. Just turned it back on & now some of the files are messed up again :(

Something about this sounds suspiciously like parts of files are ending up in bad sectors on your hard drive.  I would suggest running a drive-checking utility of some kind or even a chkdsk /f to see if your drive may be failing.

Zak

• Global Moderator
If you upload some of the problem files to a Dropbox or similar someone might be able to check that they are actually valid audio files according to specs.
Bee excellent to each other...

Spoox

Checked the disk. All fine. Lots of other files on the there that play fine too.

Tried a different flac cassette recording this time that plays on other media players, just not on MusicBee :(

Spoox

Still unable to solve this issue :(

I just tried playing a couple of my vinyl recordings (mp3) from my main (C:) Drive. One of the files that played fine the first time is now messing around so it can't be a problem with my External drive (my original problem playing cassette recordings)

Just tried re-installing latest version of MusicBee. Tried to play the vinyl rip again & it plays for 30 seconds or so before messing up MusicBee. The progress bar at the bottom that shows the waveform is a long blank line. Tried re-scanning the file with MusicBee but same problem

It's like MusicBee is corrupting certain files.

sveakul

You are not corrupting your files if all you are doing is attempting to play them in MusicBee.  Please follow Zak's suggestion and upload a couple of the problem files to a file-share site so that someone here can take a look at them and see what the problem is.

Spoox

sveakul

Thanks!  This file plays fine for me in MusicBee 3.3.7171, and neither MediaInfo nor Mp3val show anything unusual about it.  What happens exactly when you play it in your installation?  What audio device are you using?  Did the drive diagnosis utility you used check for bad sectors?
Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:58:54 AM by sveakul

Steven

• Administrator
the original reported issue sounds very much like its an issue with the audio drivers. I've seen this issue reported before by one of the forum members and I think it just went away by itself - i imagine probably from a windows update. You could try updating your audio drivers

Spoox

Thanks!  This file plays fine for me in MusicBee 3.3.7171, and neither MediaInfo nor Mp3val show anything unusual about it.  What happens exactly when you play it in your installation?  What audio device are you using?  Did the drive diagnosis utility you used check for bad sectors?

Thank you for testing. The problem is obviously my end.
When i play the file it plays for about 30 seconds or so but skips/stutters. The waveform progress bar at the bottom doesn't show the waveform, just either a long thin blank line (like there's no audio) or it's blank.
I click "Stop" & i get this message...

"The Sound Output Device Has Locked Up & Playback Can Not Continue..."

Spoox

the original reported issue sounds very much like its an issue with the audio drivers. I've seen this issue reported before by one of the forum members and I think it just went away by itself - i imagine probably from a windows update. You could try updating your audio drivers

Thank you for the reply.
Just checked Audio Drivers & they are up-to-date. Will see if anything else needs updating