Author Topic: how to move songs to library folders?  (Read 1872 times)

newbee19

somehow I was able to do this before
but since I had to reinstall musicbee, I am not able to move songs to folders.
When I try, Musicbee shows a red "no entry" sign as in below
https://prnt.sc/otgh69

Anyone knows how to fix this?

phred

• Global Moderator
Do you see a pop-up if you hover over the icon?

Typically that would mean you don't have access to that folder.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

newbee19

no they are regular folders, i have access to them. this is not specific to a certain folder.
i cant hover over the red icon because it appears when i drag a song over to the folders.

like i said, the weird thing is I was able to do this before but I tried to update my musicbee as in your instructions "Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files." and musicbee broke, it didnt open again so i had to reinstall it.

phred

• Global Moderator
We'd have to have some more details before being able to offer any help.

What type of install was the original version? Windows Store? Installable? Portable?
What version number was the old version?
In what directory was the original install?

I, and hundreds of others, have patch updated MB for years using the instructions in my sig. (Why would I have them there if they were going to cause problems?) so I have to believe there is/was something in your setup or method was was done incorrectly.

Since it appears that you are starting over with a fresh install on MB, perhaps you should uninstall it and use the portable version. Just make sure you do not put it in any Windows 'protected' folder. Ideally create a new folder x:\MusicBee.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

newbee19

no its ok, previous installation going bust isnt a problem.

the problem is what as i op'd:
i cant drag&move songs to folders in the library anymore.

i just installed the portable version as you suggested (in a non-protected area) but no luck there either,
i still cant drag&move songs into library folders neither from the playlist nor from the files panel.
Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:18:25 PM by newbee19

hiccup

Are you perhaps installing MB with administrator rights?
(it's best not to)

newbee19

i dont think that matters for this problem cause i just tried from the portable version, so i didnt even install it this time

hiccup

i dont think that matters for this problem cause i just tried from the portable version, so i didnt even install it this time

I don't understand, the portable version also is an installer.
It offers to install MB in a location of your choice.

newbee19

yes sorry busy day brain f**t, i did install it apparently.  and per your suggestion i installed the portable once again to another folder without admin rights but still no luck :(

hiccup

I'm sorry, I don't have other suggestions. I have no personal experience with such issues, so I couldn't offer more than some vague guesses.

Still I'm pretty sure this has come up before. (more then once)

MusicBee's forum search is not the greatest, but if you use Google, entering something like this in the search bar:
site:getmusicbee.com drag files
I wouldn't be surprised if you would stumble upon a solution.

newbee19

OK so i solved the mystery myself.
I was dragging them to the folders in "library explorer"(in which i selected "folders" view) and musicbee did not like that kind of shenanigans.
Then I tried dragging them to the "folder browser", et voila!, it worked.
Which is I guess what I was doing before previous installation got busted anyways alas I forgot.
"folder browser" and "library explorer"(in folders mode) both show the same thing basically but  the functionality is different apparently.