Author Topic: Last.fm "love" option that's not dependent on last.fm plugin  (Read 2635 times)

Tybot

I have absolutely no interest in last.fm whatsoever but I do find the option to "love" tracks in MB as a substitute for star rating tracks extremely useful. It helps me keep track of what I've listened to, what I liked and so on.

Since last.fm changed there API policy I've been having some issues with using this option without having the last.fm plugin enabled. From one day to another I lost over 400 "love" ratings and it's not as simple as being the tracks I've marked as loved in the past few days, it appears to be completely random. Which means there's zero chance to redo it.

I would appreciate an option that's more or less exactly the same as the current last.fm love, an icon that exists as a skinning element and so on, but not connected to or dependent on last.fm in any way.

Tybot

If this is to much of an undertaking I assume having an option to write last.fm love to file tags the same way that "store ratings in the music file" currently works would probably solve my problem. Then there's no way for tracks to suddenly become "unloved" aside from removing the tag.

JZStudios

Doesn't MusicBee have a star rating system? I've never understood the need for that. If I don't like an album I just don't keep it. All the music I have I like.

hiccup

I've never understood the need for that. If I don't like an album I just don't keep it. All the music I have I like.

This is a wishlist topic.
If another MB user forsees problems or drawbacks when a wish would be granted, it would be good and useful to mention those here.
Else it's good practice on this forum to either support it by +1'ing it, or just abstain from commenting with personal opinions such as "I wouldn't use it".
That would be perfectly alright on a discussion/question board. But not on this wishlist board.

Please don't take this personal, it certainly isn't intended as such.

Back to the wish: Since everything is already in place with regards to 'loved', and it would be a pity if the concept that many users have gotten accustomed to over many years, and it might get lost only because of changed policies at lostfm:

+1

Steven

• Administrator
Ever since the last.fm API changes ie. v3.3+, MB no longer writes the "love" rating to last.fm unless you have sync to last.fm enabled in the last.fm plugin ie. only the musicbee database is updated.
The only reason I can see you would lose the rating is if you did a one-off "love" rating sync to last.fm
What i will change in v3.4 is to write the love rating as a tag

Tybot

Ever since the last.fm API changes ie. v3.3+, MB no longer writes the "love" rating to last.fm unless you have sync to last.fm enabled in the last.fm plugin ie. only the musicbee database is updated.
The only reason I can see you would lose the rating is if you did a one-off "love" rating sync to last.fm

I really can't tell you where it went wrong. All I know is that this issue appeared post 3.3. I have an auto-playlist with one criteria which is "last-fm love". That playlist contained 3,200 tracks and ever since I voiced the issue here (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=29097.msg162090#msg162090) I've been keeping a close eye on that playlist, telling myself I should backup it to a regular playlist, which I of course forgot, and from one day to the next it went from 3,200 tracks to 2,600. I don't even think I restarted MB in that time frame but I guess I must have if my issue is related to the MB database.

That's really great news! Thanks a lot, steven!