Author Topic: Albums view - album displayed in separate pane?  (Read 4798 times)

RobS

Hi forums - As always, apologies if this has been asked before, but I haven't spotted it in a quick search.

Way back in the days of iTunes before its last few updates, we had the album covers grid view, and it was basically just like MusicBee's album covers view. However, when you clicked on an album, the program actually took you to a new screen in the main panel that displayed ONLY that album. This is what it looked like:

https://imgur.com/a/3baYmip?

Ever since this function disappeared, I've missed it. I've never liked the way clicking on an album just opens this drop-down list of tracks while all the other albums around it are still visible. It seems that even in MusicBee, despite the program's vastly greater adaptability, there is no way to replicate this display type.

Have I missed something? Is there any way to configure the viewing pane so that when I click on an album, I get a nice clean view with that album alone?

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Hi forums - As always, apologies if this has been asked before, but I haven't spotted it in a quick search.

Way back in the days of iTunes before its last few updates, we had the album covers grid view, and it was basically just like MusicBee's album covers view. However, when you clicked on an album, the program actually took you to a new screen in the main panel that displayed ONLY that album. This is what it looked like:

https://imgur.com/a/3baYmip?

Ever since this function disappeared, I've missed it. I've never liked the way clicking on an album just opens this drop-down list of tracks while all the other albums around it are still visible. It seems that even in MusicBee, despite the program's vastly greater adaptability, there is no way to replicate this display type.

Have I missed something? Is there any way to configure the viewing pane so that when I click on an album, I get a nice clean view with that album alone?

Have you tried....?
Open Left Sidebar > ♫ Music > Right Mouse > Group By > (List of options)
Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:26:28 PM by Freddy Barker

RobS

When I right click on Music I do not get a "group by" option. It only gives me "Play Library Shuffled", "Filters", and "Open in New Tab".

phred

• Global Moderator
When I right click on Music I do not get a "group by" option. It only gives me "Play Library Shuffled", "Filters", and "Open in New Tab".
It's not 'music' in the left sidebar. It's 'albums' or 'tracks' in the main panel.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

RobS

Thanks, I've now found that feature - but it doesn't answer my question. All the 'group by' function does is arrange the albums in different categories; it doesn't change the way you view them. Still no way of opening an album in its own pane, nothing else in the main panel except that one album.

Steven

• Administrator
see the "Customise Panel" dialog and play around with the settings eg. untick "show the tracks for the selected album" and tick "show tracks when an album picture is double clicked"

RobS

Got it! Thankyou so much, that's made my day. This program hasn't let me down yet!  :)

MbX99

I can't get the expanded panel to go away, unticking "show the tracks on selected album" does nothing.

phred

• Global Moderator
I can't get the expanded panel to go away, unticking "show the tracks on selected album" does nothing.
If you're trying to eliminate the extended panel completely, I don't think that can be done. Steven's instructions are for eliminating the showing of tracks within the extended panel.

If I'm misunderstanding your comment, please post a screenshot of where you're making the change.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MbX99

I'm making the change here:

https://imgur.com/a/qllngAu

Doesn't matter if the "show tracks..." is ticked or not it shows the tracks in extended panel.

This is a fresh install of the newest version (portable)

What I'm more interested in is the feature of showing artists' all albums in blank new panel within the main panel, feature was before, but now I can't configure it anyhow.

When I double click an album it adds tracks to playlist.
Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 12:04:31 PM by MbX99

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm making the change here:
https://imgur.com/a/qllngAu
Doesn't matter if the "show tracks..." is ticked or not it shows the tracks in extended panel.
That's not quite right. Click on 'albums' in the main panel as shown in my screenshot. Customize panel > untick 'show the tracks for the selected album'

When I double click an album it adds tracks to playlist.
Preferences > Now Playing > playing tracks lilst > action when adding tracks using double-click

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MbX99

Ok, I had trouble finding the right click menu in your picture, and seems like my problem originated that I was using 'Music Explorer' in main panel and not 'Music'. That pretty much solves everything, I have always used the Music Explorer, but that's why my forementioned settings didn't work. And also having genre tree in left panel allows me to go to any artist and display its all albums in main panel at glance. This will do :)

This also solves my issue with the extended panel, now it doesn't show it and album covers stay put.

https://imgur.com/a/GqJvZRW

Thank you very much for your help Steven & phred.
Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:45:34 AM by MbX99

phred

• Global Moderator
Ok, I had trouble finding the right click menu in your picture, and seems like my problem originated that I was using 'Music Explorer' in main panel and not 'Music'. That pretty much solves everything, I have always used the Music Explorer, but that's why my forementioned settings didn't work. And also having genre tree in left panel allows me to go to any artist and display its all albums in main panel at glance. This will do :)

This also solves my issue with the extended panel, now it doesn't show it and album covers stay put.

https://imgur.com/a/GqJvZRW

Thank you very much for your help Steven & phred.
Glad you got it resolved.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki