Author Topic: Error with Auto-playlist Conditions Referring to Containing Folders  (Read 1152 times)

JohnJillky

I'm organizing genres by folders, and I basically wanted to create auto-playlists that have a condition so that only the songs in the same folder as the auto-playlist could be checked and put in the playlist. For example, I'm trying to do an Instrumental Hip-Hop playlist. I set the condition like so: Playlist is Hip-Hop\ AND Genre contains 'Instrumental'. What I quickly realized is that songs that are most definitely not initially in my Hip-Hop folder were put into the auto-playlist. At first I was confused but had one hypothesis, so I decided to see if the issue persisted if I moved the playlist out of the folder. As I expected, the playlist worked as expected this time. It's almost like the auto-playlist adds songs to itself first, then checks to see if conditions are met. I also wanted to see what happened if I changed the AND to an OR within the playlist.  This time, my entire library ended up in the playlist, when there should have only been the songs in the Hip-Hop folder and any instrumentals.

Steven

• Administrator
can you post a screenshot of the auto-playlist with the conditions used when its not working as expected

JohnJillky

Here it is within the hip-hop folder:

Here it is outside the hip-hop folder, performing as I would expect regardless of location:

JohnJillky

Actually, I did just somehow realize while posting these screenshots that there was another way to specify the playlist. So I guess, if anyone else is experiencing the bug I'm experiencing, this might be a helpful workaround lol:

Steven

• Administrator
its not clear to me why this is reported as a bug. You have your source set to the Music Library and "any of" conditions set
So irrespective of what you do with the Playlist condition, the first 2 conditions will search for genre matches in the entire library.
Perhaps you want to choose "and" as the match condition

JohnJillky

I'm not talking about the first two conditions. They work fine. But the third condition is that the songs are inside of that folder AND contain "instrumental" in the genres. And the majority of the songs that appear in the playlist are not in that folder. If I move the playlist outside of the folder, it works differently. I feel like 1) setting the track source to "music library" and using a rule that says "playlist is [the same folder that the auto-playlist is in]" and 2) setting the track source to [the same folder that the auto-playlist is in] should work identically. But they do not. I'll post a different example:

So I put a single song in this playlist. Next I created this auto-playlist:

The track source is the library, and I wanted the songs to match "all" conditions, one of which is that the songs are inside the Example folder, same as the auto-playlist. However, it added every song in the library that matched the second condition, even tho almost none of these songs match the first condition. This is either a bug, or it works in a way that I would not intuitively think imo. Even if the playlist went through every song in the library, they certainly can't all match that first condition, unless the playlist treats them as if they are inside the folder first. I would think that doing it this way would work exactly the same as this:

I wouldn't think track source should matter as long as I specify what playlist/folder the tracks should be in. Likewise, I wouldn't think that merely moving an auto-playlist would completely change how it works, at least not in this case.

Steven

• Administrator
Moving the auto-playlist out of the Example folder should address the issue. What is happening is the auto-playlist is being recursively reloaded by the Playlist folder filter and its not something that I can easily change the behaviour of

JohnJillky

Yeah, I was wondering if it might be something difficult to change. Probably not worth the effort since there is a different way to do the same thing, anyway. Thanks for replying though